Summer Squash Recipes

Category Vegetables
This squash grows well in the garden and is available in produce departments most of the year. This page contains summer squash recipes.

This summer, we have really enjoyed fresh yellow squash, especially the locally grown. I like it most any way it is prepared. This recipe is my husband's favorite way for me to fry squash. I guess it's because it's a little sweet.

I fry it in the cast iron frying pan that was given to us as a wedding gift 56 years ago.

Total Time: 30-45 minutes

Yield: 3-4 servings

• 3-4 medium yellow squash
  • 1 sweet onion
  • salt & pepper
  • 1 Tbsp sugar
  • 3/4 tsp bacon grease
  • Butter Pam cooking spray

1. Slice squash into chunks. Cut onion into small pieces. Place into medium size mixing bowl. Add salt and pepper and stir together.
  2. Spray cast iron frying pan with Pam. Place bacon grease in pan (just enough to coat the bottom of the pan). Pour off any excess. Heat pan on high.
  3. Ad

4. Pour squash mixture into hot frying pan. It should sizzle. Stir for a few seconds then reduce heat to medium.
  5. Cover and cook approximately 10 minutes stirring once or twice in between.
  6. Reduce heat to low medium. Remove lid and stir in sugar, put lid back on and continue to cook covered, stirring frequently, until sugar is dissolved and squash is tender.
  7. Remove lid. Continue to cook uncovered and stir frequently until juice is blended and squash begins to stick.
  8. This produces a gummy substance that mixes in with the squash and makes it brown. Its the sweet gummy stuff that makes it lip-smacking good.

Recipe for Summer Squash with Bacon. Crisply cook 5 or 6 strips of bacon (save the grease.) Slice about 6 or 8 yellow summer squash in small circles, boil until just tender and drain. . .

In a large nonstick skillet, saute the yellow squash, zucchini, onion and garlic in oil until crisp-tender, stirring occasionally...

Here are ways to make use of excess yellow summer squash and zucchini. This time of year the garden always produces more than you can use and give away.

This page contains zucchini squash pancake recipes. Summer squash, such as zucchini, can be prepared in a way similar to a potato pancake.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

A perfect way to use up any squash you have in your garden this year. Delicious, easy and fast to prepare.

Wash squash and cut in small pieces. Cut corn from the cob. Skin tomato (the skin comes off easily if they are first dipped in boiling water for 1 minute), and cut into cubes.

Please share your summer (yellow) squash recipes that do NOT contain meat (or meat flavoring). Thanks!

Maryeileen from Brooklyn, OH

Answers:

Recipes Using Yellow Summer Squash

I love this site - one of my favorites. Google "yellow squash recipes" for many, MANY more. Enjoy. (08/16/2006)

By aardvark

Recipes Using Yellow Summer Squash

I just dice my yellow squash and an onion, put a little olive oil and about a tablespoon butter ,salt and pepper and bake in a 350 degree F oven about 45 minutes. stir a couple times during cooking process, I cook mine in an iron skillet and cover with foil. (08/16/2006)

By Annette

Recipes Using Yellow Summer Squash

Here is a recipe that I made myself and my husband loves it! You take yellow squash and zucchini squash cut up in slices, then add tomatillos (they are a small green tomato, I think from Mexico. I get them in the local grocery store). Slice them up too, put in a skillet with olive oil and low-fat margarine. Simmer and saute' till soft and looks like it's cooked. Then add some salt and pepper and YUM! It's so good! Hope you try it, if you do tell me if you like it, ok? (08/16/2006)

By Gepe

Penne with Summer Vegetable Ragout

These ingredients are only suggestions; use whatever is ripest, from the market or your own garden.

In a large pan over high heat, saute' eggplant and rosemary in oil for 5 minutes. Add squash and zucchini, and saute' a few minutes more. Salt and pepper lightly. Add fennel, onion, and garlic, and saute' until soft. Add peppers, reduce heat, and cook for 4 minutes. Mix in thyme and orange zest; add tomatoes and vinegar. Cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and adjust seasonings with salt, pepper, vinegar, or oil. Cover, and keep warm.

Cook penne in a large pot of boiling salted water, according to package instructions, until al dente. Drain. Toss with the vegetables. Serve hot or cold.

marthastewart.com
(08/16/2006)

By Mary

Recipes Using Yellow Summer Squash

Any vegetable goes with cheese sauce! Fry them like zucchini. Use them the same as zucchini in breads and fritters (I like some onion shredded in with the squash and use a tempura type batter). You can use them instead of cucumbers in bread and butter pickles. They'll taste mostly of vinegar and onion but it will use them up! (08/17/2006)

By Carla

Squash Dressing (yellow summer squash)

In this you may use other "cream soup"

Saute' onions, celery, and pepper in margarine and add to squash. Add corn bread. Mix soup, milk and eggs and add to squash. Add sage and mix well. Put into baking dish and bake at 450 degrees F until brown.

This is a very good side dish, especially good with beans. In the summer when I have plenty of squash I cook, measure and freeze it to have to make this dish the year around.
(08/18/2006)

By me_ma

Zucchini Cheese Pie

This recipe calls for zucchini but I don't see why you couldn't substitute yellow squash or mix the two squash. This is a very yummy meatless meal.

Separate, spread and pat the crescent roll dough into a 9 inch pie plate. Spread mustard over crust. Saute zucchini, onion and parsley in butter till tender. Add spices and let cool down. Beat 2 eggs well. Add eggs and cheese to sauteed mixture and pour into pie plate. Bake 20 minutes at 375 degrees F.

Note: If you want to double this you can fix in a 9x13 inch baking dish.

Ovens vary so check to see that it is not mushy in center. It should be firm.
(08/20/2006)

By Debbie Dzurilla

Recipes Using Yellow Summer Squash

Southern Style

Slice squash, put oil or bacon grease (really good!) in skillet. Chop an onion. Put onion in hot skillet, stir a bit then add the squash. Fry then cover and let steam. Clearly done when soft. Salt and Pepper and put it on the table. Love it!

If you want, crumble a slice of cooked bacon over the dish. Good Eats!! (08/21/2006)

By omajust

Recipes Using Yellow Summer Squash

Thanks for your ideas, minus the bacon! (08/22/2006)

Recipes Using Yellow Summer Squash

I make a recipe with yellow squash corn and onion saute them together in olive oil, salt and pepper to taste and that is it. (07/15/2007)

By Belinda

Recipes Using Yellow Summer Squash

This isn't exactly a recipe, but I dice the squash, add a little water, and cook it in the microwave for 4-5 minutes. Then I add it various dishes- soup, casserole, rice or pasta dish. (06/21/2008)

By SusannL