Sweet 16 Birthday Party Ideas

Category Birthday
In some cultures a girl's 16th birthday party is traditionally a very special occasion. This is a guide about sweet 16 birthday party ideas.

This is a guide about sweet 16 masquerade party ideas. Planning a masquerade theme for your 16th party is romantic and fun.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

Okay, I'm turning 16 in November. But, having a party requires inviting the people I call friends who in the end will not show up and put my parents out a butt load of money. I want to do something with 5 or 6 people that is Halloweenish (apparently that's not a word). Haunted houses are a bore though. I have drawn a complete blank and my parents want me to figure out what I'm doing. Please help?

By Alexis C.

Answers

Hi Alexis! Just a thought about your birthday coming up! If your into the Twilight Saga then you can find great ideas related to that online or just create from ur own perspective. I hope this inspires you for your "halloweenish" birthday! Have a great day! <3

Maybe you could base the party on a popular movie that you like.

Do you have any favorite activities you used to do for Fall time like bobbing for apples or other such games, maybe you could arrange to have a hay ride or go to a special place that features a theme that you like.

Have a Happy Birthday!

Blessings,
Robyn from Tennessee

First off, let me just say how nice it is that at your young age, you thought of your parents and how much money they would/could spend. That said, I like the other ideas a lot. You could also add to that a King or Koontz novel you all like, if relevant, and/or have a costume contest. I hope you have a great one whatever you decide.

PBP

Research in your area and go to an actual haunted destination. I don't know where you are located, like I'm in Pittsburgh and we have actual walking tours of the city that take you to places rumored to actually be haunted. I'm 50 and I'm doing it here soon. They have guides that give you the back story of each place.

If you come up with something please let me know! I'm in he same boat for a October 29th birthday!

Ooh, I just had a thought, what about a limo/bus and a driving tour of the haunted houses in your area. We are in Denver and there is a lot and then a sleepover with scary movies!

I'm turning 16 at the end of August and I have no idea what to do for my party. I either want just a few of my close friends or some of my guy friends as well, I'm not sure yet. I know I want a sleepover at the end of the party. (Guys have to go home of course.) I am kind of sporty and I love sweets! Any help?

By Meg

My daughter is turning 16 and she doesn't want to have a typical Sweet 16. I understand and I want to throw her something super original. Paintball is too much of a guy party, but she wants something active so all her friends won't be sitting around. She likes to have fun, but I need help on what to do. Any suggestions?

By Parkkk from Miami, FL

Answers

Sweet Sixteen Birthday Games: Karaoke
Karaoke is so much fun and even more fun when performed in front of lots of friends and family. You can expect to have hours of entertainment for everyone.
Karaoke compliments every theme. For example if you have an 80's theme, sing only 80's songs. Good luck.

What about a scavenger hunt? or a craft to make something out of a t-shirt? For our son at that same age. We rented a cabin at a beach and rented kayaks for his guests to go out on. Afterward we barbecued. Not frugal, but lots of fun.

Good luck, it's a hard age for party planning.

You could rent the roller skating rink or the bowling alley. Where I live the roller skating rink decorates and they play games on skates and give out prizes for the games. All we have to bring is the refreshments. Each person has to pay for their skates.

All these ideas are great. Another option is to have your daughter and some of her friends plan it with your advice and guidance.

Our son would plan his own parties when he was a teenager as long as we approved his plans. He had to work with a budget. He didn't realize this but he learned to budget his money and how to organize while having fun making the plans.

How about a hay ride and a corn maze at your closest horse riding facility. They are lots of fun!

I will never forget the fun had by all those in attendance at my triplets sweet 16. They all have momentos to help them remember as well. I bought size 2X size t-shirts for each teen, decorating the front with the statement" I went to a rockin' sweet 16 birthday party and all I got was this totally awesome sleep shirt. They decorated the back of them while eating cake and ice cream in the middle of the party. Near the end of the party, we had an unbiased person (a neighbor who had no idea what t-shirt belonged to what guest), judge the teens' art work. A prize was given for the one chosen.

Some game ideas: a ladle race-carry a softball size water balloon, filled of course, from one corner of your street to the next. If the balloon is dropped and busted, that person is out.

Say cheese-pair off and blindfold each person. slather one persons face with redi-whip. Sit each pair in chairs, facing each other, about 3 feet apart. hand the dry faced member a small mixing bowl full of cheese puffs. The players have 3 minutes to make as many puffs stick as possible. directions can be given (only by the receiving partner) such as 'more to the left', etc. puffs that fall off no longer count. a prize is given to each member of the winning team. in the rare case of a tie, a small amount of puffs are put in a bowl and the tied teams guess the number of puffs. closest without going over, wins.

One last game. Cupcake races-best played on the porch or floor. The players are seated on their knees, with their hands tied behind their backs. Overly decorated cupcakes (still in the paper cups) are placed in front of each player. First one to finish their messy treat wins the prize. (hint: it will be nearly impossible to clean the cup, decide the amount that is acceptable to be left to claim a winner)

Memory jar-each guest writes a memory they have of the birthday girl/boy. The honoree has to read each, one at a time, and guess who wrote it. I prize is given fo those who bluff him/her.

Prize suggestions:
Gift certificates for a favorite fast food hangout, a gift card for a video/music store, a movie theater ticket, gift card for a bookstore or favorite clothing store, packages of cookies, 2-liter bottles of soda. These can be placed out all together so a winner can pick the prize that fits them, eliminating the possibility of, for example, a diabetic winning cookies.

Good luck and have fun!

I am Zach Lau and I'm turning 16 next month. I was wondering if you can give me any ideas for my party because I want it to be the best that no one will ever forget.

My sweet sixteen is in January and I'm gonna invite twenty or so people. I'm not big on dressing up and all that. I wanted to have a bonfire party thing, but it'll be winter so it might not work. I'm really on a low budget since I'll be paying for it myself. Any ideas will help!

My birthday is coming up (Novmeber 13th) and I was planning on travelling (from Florida) to NYC with a couple of friends. The thing is, I have no idea what to do while there. I was thinking of staying 5-7 days since it's a school week after all.
Anyway, the question is: What hotel should we stay at? (Not too expensive, but not too cheap. I'd say 4-5 star hotel). What to spend my day doing? (Going shopping, dinner, spa day, etc?) Should I rent a limo to take us places?

By Mariana F

Answers

You must have a lot of money to spend, to be thinking along those lines. When you invite people to go with you, it is up to you to pay their expenses too. It is one thing when you invite, it is another thing when they volunteer. Now you are too young to be going on a trip like that without parental supervision. There is tons of things to do in NYC, day and night, it depends on your interests, finances, etc. Do you have any idea what a limo charges per hour or trip? At your age, you would be better off planning a party in your home town. You just don't have any idea what you are planning.

This is pretend, right? I'll go along. You can have a spa day anywhere. In NYC, go to a Broadway play, or to several. Get on www.google.com and search on museums and galleries in NYC. Search on "unique attractions in NYC". Get around by taxi and bus. See the Statue of Liberty, there's no where else in the world you can see that. See Chinatown and Central Park.

Your post makes it clear you have no experience traveling. Things will go better if you involve an experienced traveler in making your plans.

My 16th birthday is coming up and I can't spend a lot of money on it. I live in a 2 bed room apartment and don't have room to do it there. Are there any cheap places inside I could have my birthday party?

I am in a rut and have no clue what to do for my birthday. Like every other girl I'm wanting my party to not be boring but to be unique. I'm not too girly and love camping and hikes. I am inviting my close girlfriend and my boyfriend. My birthday is January 3rd so it will be freezing I suppose. I was thinking to go to the ocean, it's always cold there anyways so no way a jacket can't just fix the problem, but... Does anyone else maybe have some ideas? Plzzzz help!

I will be turning 16 in October and will be having a sweet 16. I plan on having an intimate party of 50-65 of my closest friends. Any themes that involve DIY and will work with the time of year?

I'm turning 16 in June and I plan on having a joined party with my best friend who shares my same birthday. However, we have a tight budget. We plan on inviting about 50 people or so, but need help deciding on food, drinks, desserts, and stuff like that. I want it to be an awesome party for people to remember, but I don't have the cash to throw left and right.

By Taylor

I turn 16 on the 6th of February and there's no school 3 out of the five days that week. So due to some family obligations (parents are divorced and I have to see my dad that day) I have to go to a hotel for my birthday. It's in a town three hours away and I honestly have no clue what to do. It will probably be three or four other girls and myself. What are fun things to do? I really don't want to do something boring like just using the swimming pool or do nails and stuff. I'd like to go out to places around the city, but I need ideas. Thanks.

By Kylie F.

I am having my 16th birthday party at my local park. I looked at rooms to rent and it was way too expensive. It will be under a gazebo with some tables. I have picked out decorations and put together a candy buffet, but I am afraid that my friends will get bored. I would have it in my backyard, but I just moved and my yard isn't big enough. If anyone has any ideas to keep my friends busy that would be so helpful.

By cassidy.bonner

How do I plan for a boy's sweet 16th birthday?

By Zolani N. from Cape Town, WC

Does anyone have any ideas? My birthday is in November and I have yet to pick out every little detail! Do you have any ideas for me? I am a girl and hate the color pink.

By cookiesluvthat

I have never had a birthday party in my life and am now turning 16. My mom told me I am going to have a party, but I have to plan it and it needs to be very cheap. I have no idea of what I want to do. My birthday is in the beginning of September, but my older sister is leaving for college at the end of August and I don't want her to waste gas driving 6 hours for me. Anyone got any ideas of what I should do?

By Taylor

Answers

Hi Taylor!
I saw your question and have a few more for you. First, what kind of things do you enjoy? I mean do you like dancing, make-up, music, karaoke(maybe) or something else altogether? Will this be a mixed party(girls and boys) or just girls? Do you live in town or in the country? Also have you thought about having your party before your sister leaves for college or maybe shortly after your birthday when she would be coming home for the weekend? I know it would be earlier or later than your actual birthday but you talked about not wanting her to have to drive 6 hours and I believe it would be important to you for her to be at your party. Please send me the answers to these questions and I will do my best to help you come up with inexpensive party ideas.

I have 4 grown kids, 2 girls who had Sweet 16 parties so I have planned some experience with 16th birthday parties before. You have done a great job already just by starting this early looking for ideas! The earlier you start, the better the party will be. :) You have a wonderful head start on an amazing Sweet 16 Birthday party! :-D
Hugs, Paula

There are TONS of ideas on the internet (Pinterest is a GREAT resource), and most are very do-able and inexpensive. You just need to narrow down the list of themes you like and pick one (western, spa day, dance party, karaoke, makin' crafts, backwards party, etc.) and then decide who you will be inviting (guys and gals or just gals). It's sweet of you to think of your sis' long drive, so plan the party before she leaves or on a weekend you know she'll be home (before Christmas, of course!). Hope you have a GREAT and memorable 16th Birthday!

I'm not sure what to do for my Sweet 16, in April. I'm really not a party type, but I feel like this is the only chance I'll get. (I'm more of a shy toned down type.) Around my birthday I'm going to see my cousins who are little princesses. I thought about doing a tea party and dressing up as Disney princess characters. Please help!
Sincerley, frustrated.

By Emma W.

Answers

It would be sweet to focus on a Princess theme with your cousins; you could be the Kind Queen of all Princesses! If you look online, you can find pictures of princess-like decorations; you can make a banner (one shape for each letter in your name), make some matching hanging shapes with each of the girls' names, etc. The possibilities are endless!

When the girls arrive, announce you'll be making decorated cupcakes together; you can have the cupcakes already made, and have frosting, sprinkles, etc. ready to go. You can have some picks to go into each cupcake with a tiara picture and the girls' names - very special! You can make mini gifts for each other: decorated Altoid tins (ask friends/family to save them for you).

Paint the tins silver or red and then cover them with rhinestones, hearts, and whatever else you want (use a sturdy glue that will dry quickly). Fill the tins with small slips of paper on which each girl writes her wishes/dreams, or have each girl write something she likes about the others and give those slips to each girl; everyone will then have a container filled with wonderful things said about her to treasure for months to come!

Hope these ideas are helping you come up with many more of your own. Happy 16TH Birthday - Hope God blesses you in more ways than you ever imagined!

I gave my daughter a brunch, she invited 4-5 close friends and went to local restaurant known for its brunch buffet. She used small pewter photo frames as place cards and they were favors for her guests. If your cousins or others are young or you are dealing with more than a few people, and if you want a princess theme, why don't you have a tea? Have everyone dress up, use nice teapot and dishes and serve finger sandwiches or other special tidbits. Enjoy.

I am praying for help planning my Christian daughter's sweet 16 party. We are 2,000 miles away from our home visiting family for the next 4 months, so none of my daughter's friends will be attending. It will only be family. There will be 60 guests. Please help!

By Gail from Cheyenne, WY

Answers

I'm not sure what you're looking for because you don't give a lot of info. There are a lot of party planning websites, and of course Martha Stewart's website is good for general party ideas.

You can find some good ideas at How To Do Things.com - check out their Sweet 16 article at howtodothings.com/food-and-drink/a2825-how-to-throw-a-sweet-16-birthday-party-.html. Their biggest tip - check with your daughter to see what she wants to do. :) Good luck!

I saw a great Sweet 16 party on "The Cake Boss" program on TLC channel on cable. The daughter was a Catholic girl and they were proud Italian family. Nothing Risque was important. They made a Hollywood kind of theme with spotlights, movie markers, and stuff. Old movies were being played that the daughter liked (like old beach bingo movies, Sandra Day movies, and stuff like that) and the cake, of course, was absolutely beautiful.

My friend did more than that for her daughter on the same theme. There was dancing and musical games and other party games for the teens and for the grown ups there was a great time catching up with one another. Go to a recycled Auto Parts store and get a bunch of big van bench seats and make wooden things to hold them upright and space them out for the kids to sit on and watch the movies on a big screen TV or projector screen. There was a caterer on the TV show party, but my friend had just a home done buffet and had bought movie style popcorn boxes from Oriental Trading website and rented a big old popcorn popper and let the kids help themselves.

The TV show party had all kinds of great sweets, but I loved the cookies the best. They made star cookies with the girl's name on them and bundled them 6 to a mesh bag and they were not only a sweet treat, but a party favor as well. Both the TV program party and the party by my friend were excellent times and it all stemmed from the daughter's love of glitz and glam of Hollywood style. Hope this helps! Have a great time and enjoy yourself, too. This is, after all, a landmark for you as well as for your daughter.

I am turning sixteen in the beginning of September. My mom is completely against having a large party, so I am thinking to save up and then approach her about it when I have the money to pay. However, I have no idea what to do for my party. Plus, I have closer friends where I live now, but most live hundreds of miles away :( as I moved here recently. Help!

So my birthday is in late October and for my party I'm taking around 8 friends to lunch or dinner and then 3 of my closest friends are sleeping over after, but I need ideas on what to do in between with all 8 of my friends attending. The only problem is I can't take them to my house because I just recently moved 40 minutes away. So I need ideas on things to do after lunch or dinner in New Jersey, not too expensive. BTW the lunch/dinner may be in NYC so if you have any ideas for things to do in the city please share. Thank you!

I'm turning 16 in July. I have a group of friends I can invite and a few close close friends. I'm not one to have a bunch of attention and I also am not this huge social light extravagant person. I originally thought a fancy dinner and some games while out to dinner, but it was kind of expensive.

I don't know if I want casual party, but I don't want super crazy so I'm open to a bunch of ideas whatever can be thought of! I also thought maybe a spa day? But I don't know. I'm looking for some creative ideas! Any idea will help. I am undecided if it will be girls only or if it'll be girls and guys I don't have many guy friends, it would probably be my family that was the guys. So either idea will be great! Thanks everyone.

Load More