Sweet Potato Pie Recipes

Category Pies
A traditional open face pie popular in the southern US. This page contains sweet potato pie recipes.

I'm sure many of you have had sweet potato pie. This pie is very similar but uses purple sweet potatoes. Baking the sweet potatoes in the oven (in lieu of boiling them) gives this a beautiful creamy consistency. Baking them also retains their beautiful purple colour. Purple sweet potatoes can be found in grocery stores labeled as Okinawan, Hawaiian, or purple sweet potatoes. They are packed full of potassium, B6, vitamin C, and fiber.

I used pure maple syrup for most of the sweetness in this pie to help detract from any potato flavour without being overpowering, but you can use any sweetening element you like. Since these potatoes are sweet on their own, try adding your sweetener in small increments and tasting it before adding the raw eggs.

Prep Time: 30 minutes plus potato baking time

Cook Time: 55 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes

Yield: 8 servings

• 1 1/2 cup finely ground graham crackers
  • 4 Tbsp melted butter
  • 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
  • 2 to 3 purple sweet potatoes (about 2 cups mashed)
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup pure maple syrup (more or less to taste)
  • 1/2 cup milk (I used cashew milk)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup rolled oats
  • 1/3 cup walnuts
  • 2 Tbsp coconut sugar or brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 Tbsp melted butter

1. Preheat your oven to 350 F. Wrap each potato in foil and bake for about 90 minutes. When you prick them with a fork and the flesh is super soft, they are ready.
  2. Advertisement

3. Allow to cool a bit, then peel the skin off. Simply pinch at the skin with your thumb and index finger and it will peel right off. Set aside.
  4. To make the crust, melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a bowl then stir in the ground graham crackers.
  5. Mix in 2 tablespoons of maple syrup.
  6. Press this mixture into a pie dish. I used a 7" round. Pop in the fridge until ready for use.
  7. Advertisement

8. Preheat oven to 350 F. Mash your purple sweet potatoes until they are smooth and fluffy. I used a hand mixer on high speed. Add milk and beat until silky.
  9. Beat in maple syrup a little at a time. You don't have to use 1/3 cup, that's just what was the right sweetness for me.
  10. Stir in the cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and salt. Taste the mixture before you add the raw eggs.
  11. Lightly beat the eggs and mix in.
  12. Advertisement

13. Take the pie crust out the fridge and pour in the filling. Smooth it out with a spatula so it's nice and even. Pop in the oven for about 25 minutes.
  14. While the pie is in the oven, start making your streusel topping. Chop the walnuts. I like to use a mix of finely chopped nuts and larger chunks for variety.
  15. In a bowl, mix together the oats, the nuts, 2 tablespoons of sugar, and 1/2 a teaspoon of cinnamon.
  16. Advertisement

17. Pour in the 2 tablespoons of melted butter and stir well. Set aside.
  18. Pull the pie out the oven at the 25 minute baking mark, cover in the streusel topping, then bake another 30 minutes for a grand total of about 55 minutes in the oven, start to finish. Remove from oven and allow to fully cool on a rack for several hours.

I had never tried sweet potato pie before this recipe. My husband's relatives, who are from the South, rave about it. So, it's a keeper!

This has the same spice flavors as pumpkin pie, but it's very different. If you've never tried sweet potato pie, you should try this.

slice of pie on glass plate

Easy to make, using ready made crust. Great way to use left over cooked/baked sweet potato.

Southern comfort food that has a smooth custard texture that fills the home with the aromatic smells of the holiday. This pie takes me back in time when I spent the holidays at my Grandparents' home.

In large mixing bowl, combine flour and sugar. Add potatoes, eggs, corn syrup, nutmeg, salt, butter and evaporated milk; beat well. Pour into pastry shell and bake at 350 degrees F for 55-60 minutes.

I would like a good sweet potato pie recipe.

Thanks,
Emmett from Oakpark, IL

Answers:

Sweet Potato Pie

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/sweet-potato-pie-i/detail.aspx

this is the recipe I always use. Nice and easy! (12/08/2006)

By

Sweet Potato Pie

I just use Libby's famous pumpkin pie recipe (on back of the can), but substitute sweet potatoes for the pumpkin. (12/08/2006)

By susan

Ingredients

• 1 (9 inch) pie crust baked and cooled as directed on package
  • 2 1/2 cups mashed, cooked sweet potatoes
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/2 cup evaporated milk
  • 2 Tbsp. maple flavored syrup

Directions

Heat oven to 350 degrees F, add all ingredients in large mixing bowl adding syrup last. Stir well. Pour into shell and bake 40-45 minutes or until knife inserted into center comes out clean.

By IMAQT1962 from ILLINOIS

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts PiesSeptember 11, 2012
😷
📓
🐛
😎
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Sweet-Potato-Pie-Recipes.html