Taco Filling Recipes

Category Tacos
fill shells
Crisp or soft, tacos can be made with a surprising number of fillings from fish to vegetarian. This page contains taco filling recipes.

This was a family favorite of my husband's growing up. It makes plenty, so plan to freeze half.

Directions:

There are two ways I make this. The original recipe was to combine rice and 2 cups water and boil. When cooked, add remaining ingredients and simmer for 1 hour.

More recently, I started just dumping all the ingredients listed above in the crock pot and letting it cook while I was at work. You do not need to cook the rice ahead.

I like to spoon Mock Tacos over tortilla chips and top with lettuce and tomato (sour cream would be great too). My husband prefers to spoon it into a bowl and and scoop it out with tortilla or corn chips. It is also great in shells for tacos or rolled into a burrito.

Source: My Mother-in-law

By cs_jag from Hillsboro, OR

I don't always have the packages on hand and I can season as I like this way.

Directions:

In a heavy pan, cook the beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink, drain. Stir in the rest of the ingredients; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.

Always make sure your spices are fresh for the best flavor.

By latrtatr from Loup City, NE

Since the most economical way to prepare a meal is to see what you have on hand before starting, we get new recipes all the time. They don't always please us, but this one did. It reminds me of the jalapeno pepper popper things in the frozen food section of the grocery store, except that it has beef added.

Ingredients

Directions

Saute 1 pound of lean hamburger along with 1/3 cup finely chopped onions, 1/4 cup chopped bell peppers and 2 cloves of garlic. Stir in 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper. When the onions and peppers are soft, warm up 12 taco shells or 12 taco-sized flour tacos. Put two or three tablespoons of the meat mixture in each one. Top with 1 tablespoon cream cheese and (if desired) a few slices of pickled jalapeno. Add taco sauce at your own risk.

Serves 4 or more

By Coreen Hart from Rupert, ID

Ingredients

• 1 lb. ground beef or turkey
  • 1 (16oz) can black beans
  • 1 (1 1/4 oz) envelope of taco seasoning mix
  • 1 (1 oz) envelope of ranch dressing mix

Directions

Fry meat till done and drain off excess oil. (I like to rinse with hot water). Add remaining ingredients to beef in pan. Cover and simmer on low for 1 hour.

Serve on soft flour tortillas with a bit of sour cream and grated cheddar.

Fantastic yummy new twist to regular already yummy dinner!

Source: Possibly Recipezaar

By Faith from Lynden, WA

Ingredients

• 8 taco shells or tortillas
  • 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
  • 1 lb. ground turkey
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 bag frozen broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, thawed
  • Ad
  • 1 can tomatoes with green chilies
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1 tsp. garlic salt
  • 1 tsp. dried oregano
  • shredded cheddar cheese
  • fresh cilantro leaves (opt.)

Directions

Warm taco or tortilla shells. In a large skillet over medium hot heat, heat oil until hot. Fry turkey and add onion. Cook and stir until meat is done and onion tender. Drain. Stir in vegetables, tomatoes, cumin, garlic salt, and oregano. Cook and stir until veggies are tender and mixture is hot. Spoon into warm tortilla shells. Garnish with cheddar cheese and cilantro, if desired. Delicious!

By Robin from Washington, IA