Taxidermy Advice

Category Wildlife
If someone wants to have a small carcass stuffed you can sometimes keep it well wrapped in your freezer. Make a place separate from your food.

I know this is gross, but my husband has dead snakes in the freezer to have mounted later. Is it safe to have them in there with our frozen food?

Answers

It is not the greatest thing to do , but at the same time it does not harm anything. If it truly bothers you, you could put it in double packaging (triple wrap , plastic freezer container) sealed, and labeled. If you have room in your freezer, make a place ,separate from the rest of your food . If this makes you feel better! Maybe giving him a deadline to get out would help!

As long as the snake is in a sealed plastic bag it is safe to keep the snake in the freezer. There are a lot of taxidermy companies do this when a person brings in a snake to stuff or mount on the wall.

it is a bit gross to see them in the freezer. I would suggest that they put them in a black thick plastic trash bad and seal them up really good. He should take them to the shop and allow the company to store them for him.

I personally would not prefer my frozen foods to be near dead snakes.

Don't see anything wrong as long as you double secure with zip loc and maybe inside a container. If you could re-organize your freezer and have a dedicated section for the snakes.

I'm not sure it's the best idea for him to even do that, for the sake of the snake. Cryogenics has proven that the water crystallization inherent in freezing decomposes tissue, which is why that avenue for eternal life failed. I assume he's saving them for the integrity of the tissues for taxidermy or something - if so, he should not do this

If they have been in there for longer than a week, it's probably too late and he should get to it quicker next time.

Better Living Green Living WildlifeJune 5, 2020
🌻
👔
🎆
😎
😷
🐛