Thai Coconut Shrimp Soup
Diamond Post Medal for All Time! 1,246 Posts
ThriftyFun has been doing Soup of the Week posts which have been making me crave soups nonstop. I thought I'd add one of my favourite coconut shrimp soup recipes with you. This soup is sweet, spicy, savoury, and super velvety. I know you will fall in love with it! If you can't find some of the ingredients, read the segment below for substitutions.
1 lemon grass stalk: 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
1 Tbsp Thai curry paste: 1 tsp curry powder
2 Tbsp fish sauce: 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce + 1 Tbsp soy sauce
Remember that fish sauce is pretty potent, so you might want to add a little bit at a time until you reach your desired flavour.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp chili paste
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 lemongrass stalk, pounded with the side of a knife, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 Tbsp Thai curry paste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can baby corn
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 4 cups canned coconut cream
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1-2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- fresh cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- Heat a bit of oil to a pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, chili paste, ginger, lemongrass, and curry paste.
- Cook until onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add baby corn and carrots, reduce heat, and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Pour in coconut cream, and then add the shrimp. Simmer until they are cooked through. It won't take long.
- Stir in fish sauce, sugar, and lime juice. Make adjustments to your taste.
- Cook a couple minutes, then serve in bowls. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2021 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.