Things to Donate to Animal Shelters

Cat in Animal Shelter
Besides donating money to your local animal shelter, there may be other things you can help them with. This is a guide about things to donate to animal shelters.

We have a local pet shelter here that likes the community to donate shredded paper for the animals. They have may uses for the shredded papers. I have a large paper shredder which I use to get rid of junk mail and anything else I don't want to go into the trash whole. When it is full, I have a large trash container in the garage to dump all the shredded paper into. While watching television, I cut up our used newspapers and add to the bag of shredded paper. When I have several full bags, I run them by the shelter while out running errands. Our shelter uses them to fill donated pillow cases for the animals to lay on and also for puppies to play in. This is a great way to recycle your junk mail and newspapers.

By Bobbie G. from Rockwall

Animal shelters will welcome towels, sheets, blankets, pillows, and any other linens that are too worn-out to be given to someone else. Do a good deed for animals and save our planet as well.

If you were to buy a brand of pet food that your pet won't eat for whatever reason. Don't toss it out in the trash, look in your phonebook to see if your city/town has a no kill animal shelter. Take it there. Lots of people take their pets they no longer want there and just forget about them. They still have to eat and any donations are greatly appreciated and accepted.

Many animal shelters and veterinarians will take your old blankets and towels to use for their animal bedding. Just make sure it is clean and you have given a gift that many animals will enjoy for a long time.

By Gem from VA

You may be thinking about spring cleaning, and tossing towels and sheets that have seen better days. Take them to your local shelter. The staff and animals will be so grateful to have towels for after baths. Old sheets, bath mats, blankets make good bedding for the animals. Also take pet food coupons you're not going to use to the shelter for them to redeem.

I've been doing this for many years. Many of my best four-legged friends have come from the shelters.

By aloha58 from Onalaska, WA