social

Thread Not Catching?

I have read all the possible solutions for my top thread not catching the bobbin thread. I have checked the bobbin timing and it is fine. I have checked my tension (and tried it at several different settings). I have the same thread in both the bobbin and top thread, I've changed the needles (flat side to back) and the thread is good quality. It's just not catching. It was working fine, now nothing I do helps. I'm in the middle of a time sensitive project and can't afford a new machine. Please help!

Advertisement

By Cindy T

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Silver Feedback Medal for All Time! 282 Feedbacks
September 2, 20130 found this helpful

After reading your list of things you've tried, there are only two other things that could be causing the top thread to not be catching the bobbin thread:

1 Had you just wound a bobbin and have forgot to switch the machine back to sewing mode?

2 A worn or broken bobbin gear inside the machine.

How old is your machine? If it's more than 10-15 years old, your machine is considered 'old' or even 'vintage' by some manufacturers. The older your machine is the more chance the problem is the bobbin gear, and not all those gears are being 'newly milled' anymore - the repair may mean using a salvage part that will not have the same reliability as a newly milled part.

Advertisement

In the USA just the repair to a vintage machine including the part should cost you under $50, possibly less if the machine is one of the common brands and the repair tech has a part in his/her workshop. The tech may try to upsell you on a complete servicing which will bump your total closer to $100 (repair+part+cleaning+oiling+checking machine over for other potential problems) - let him/her know how much you can afford to spend because this will also prevent him/her from trying to 'upgrade' you to a new or well-serviced sewing machine.

Generally, most techs will work with you because they love sewing and want to get you back behind the needle of your beloved machine. Er, some aren't that nice, so be sure to be clear with the tech about your budget.

Advertisement

The tech may have to special order the part if the machine is a model with a lot of features, or is a computerised machine. More features means more moving parts inside the machine which makes it harder for the tech to get to the bobbin gear. A computerised machine may make the repair more complicated too. Any complications like that will raise the price of the repair.

Is there someone you can borrow a machine from while yours is being repaired?

Silver Feedback Medal for All Time! 472 Feedbacks
September 18, 20130 found this helpful

I've found that my machine won't sew properly if I use cheap thread. Once I switch to a good thread, it works just fine. I've been sewing for almost 50 years and have just started having this problem, but I remember people talking about it 30 years ago.

Advertisement

You may want to check.

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

In This Page
Categories
Home and Garden Repair Machines Sewing MachinesAugust 31, 2013
Pages
More
🍀
St. Patrick's Ideas!
🎂
Birthday Ideas!
💘
Valentine's Ideas!
Facebook
Pinterest
YouTube
Instagram
Categories
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2024-01-31 13:16:00 in 4 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2024 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Thread-Not-Catching.html