Sewing Machine Needle Not Catching Thread

It can be very frustrating if your machine is not sewing properly. This guide is about sewing machine needle not catching thread.

Does anyone know anything about sewing machines? The bobbin thread isn't being picked up by the needle. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but it was working fine. It is possible, not sure, but the needle doesn't seem to be going down as far as it should. I am mighty confused. Please help.

By shivvers from Ireland

Answers

Best Answer

When I have that problem, I have found it works to hold the thread in the needle to the left while you put the needle down to pick up the bobbin thread. Sometimes it is still hard to see if the bobbin thread has come up and when that happens I take a darning needle and run it under the pressure foot and the bobbin thread is there, just needed a little help for me to see it and straighten it out.

Anonymous
Best Answer

If redhatterb's suggestion doesn't work, you might have the bobbin turned the wrong direction. Also, try removing the top thread and rethreading the sewing machine.

Best Answer

Try changing the needle for a new one. I don't know why but this usually works for me.

Best Answer

You may also check to make sure your needle is turned properly. I had this problem not too long ago. I had replaced the needle and tightened it in not realizing I had not set it in the slot properly. I redid it and it has worked well ever since.

My mini sewing machine's needle is not picking up the bobbin thread. Why?

Answers

Best Answer

Make sure the needle is all the way in and that it's tight. Something of note: Schmetz and Klasse needles are different in length. Klasse needles are longer and cannot be used in my Singer. Klasse double needles broke in my Janome.

Good luck

Best Answer

These two things should be done straight off whenever there are stitching whenever there are any kind of stitching issues. Put in a new needle. Sometimes a needle can get bent without realizing it. If you have a new needle you automatically exclude it as a reason the machine won't work. Re-threading is also something you should do right off. one of my machines sews goofy once in a while = when the unseen area isn't threaded properly.

Why is stitching not appearing on my portable mini sewing machine? It's not taking thread from lower bobbin also. Please help me.

Answers

That is a common problem with mini sewing machines. Do a search for you tube LSS505 desktop sewing machine trouble shooting and you will see a short video on how to fix thix problem.

My machine suddenly stopped sewing. It is not picking up bobbin thread. There are no loops under the material. I have re-threaded it 3 times and have cleaned the bobbin area and rechecked the bobbin. I have also changed needle and thread. No luck.

By Coral from Nudgee, QLD.

Answers

Best Answer

Try this. Turn your bobbincase on it's side. There should be a small screw. This will adjust the tension. When you put your bobbin in the bobbin case hang onto the thread and your bobbincase should slowly go downward (like a yo-yo). If it does not move you tightened the screw too much. Hope this helps.

My mini sewing machine doesn't pick up thread from the bobbin and my fabric doesn't get stitched. Please help.

So the sewing machine that I'm using is a Good Housekeeper made in Japan. It is a deluxe precision bill is what it says on the side and I think the model number is 1091TW. I've been researching and haven't found one just like this one on the Internet anywhere. So if anyone is familiar with this model, any pointers would be great. My problem is with stitching. I've tried different types of fabric the bobbin thread won't come through the fabric for it will make a stitch at all. I'll change the needle, I removed lint, and oiled it up. I just can't get it to make a stitch. Any help would be most appreciated.

Answers

I'm not familiar with this machine either (I do some vintage repair-refurb for my Sewing 101 students) but what you're describing is a common problem with vintage machines - a worn or broken bobbin gear inside the machine.

However, the problem could be a few other things instead and the only way to be sure is to have the machine to a repair tech who can inspect the inside safely (modern, and some 'vintage' electrics, can shock you even if they've been disconnected from the mains for hours or days) and make the needed repairs. This isn't a 'home-fix'. The tech should also do a servicing (cleaning and oiling, inspecting for potential developing problems), and should also be happy to tell you how to wind bobbins, use the other features, and very likely will be able to direct you to a free or low cost download of the machine user manual.

My machine keeps missing stitches. The top misses the bobbin, and then I'm left with really not excellent looking stitches. Also, my machine won't do a twin needle stitch properly. I'm concerned. Help? Thanks guys!

Answers

Take your machine to the repair tech - I do some vintage repair for my Sewing 101 students and it sounds to me as though there are multiple issues. Could be anything from excessive lint and thread fluff build-up to a bobbin or other gear on its last sewing legs.

Only a pro will be able to find and fix whatever is wrong with your machine.

This IS NOT a home repair job - please DO NOT take your machine apart to see if it looks like something simple you can do at home - IT'S NOT and the repair tech will charge you a lot more if he/she has to put a basket case back together before even beginning to work out what is wrong with the machine!

A yahoo group wefixit has lots of good answers to problems with sewing machines.

Anonymous

I'm having the exact problems. I'd love to hear if you took it to be repaired and if they were able to solve these issues!

I have Brother sewing machine Model VX-1120. It won't pick up the bobbin thread!

By Opal D.

Answers

Best Answer

First of all, here's a link to a free download for your machine:

http://www.brot  _1120_EN_203.PDF

Now check page 12 to be sure you're seating the front load bobbin case into the machine correctly, and that you've snapped the bobbin winder back to the sewing mode (follow the illustration on page 11 and 12).

Next go to page 14 and be sure you're following all of those directions for pulling up the thread.

If none of the above solves your problem, check page 47 (Performance checklist) and if nothing there solves your problem (are your feed dogs set to 'no-feed? That will keep your bobbin thread from pulling up on some models), it's time to find a factory trained Brother repair tech!

The bobbin thread isn't coming up to the top, when I turn the wheel manually. I used a new spool of thread and rewound a new bobbin and it still isn't working. What should I do?

By Grace

Answers

Best Answer

Make sure your bobbin case is loaded correctly and the bobbin thread is following the correct path to permit top thread pick-up.

Is your machine a front/side load bobbin system, or the top drop-in type? It can make a difference in top thread pick-up especially if you are new to sewing or don't sew often. The front/side load bobbins are really hard to load correctly and can cause no end of difficulties for the beginner or infrequent sewer.

The age of the machine can make a difference too. On a modern machine (newer than ten years old) a lot of the timing mechanisms are magnetic and can be thrown off by using a metal bobbin spool instead of the recommended plastic. If the machine timing is off the needle may be descending into the bobbin pick-up area at the wrong time the bobbin presents bobbin thread for pick-up.

On a vintage machine (older than 25 years), gears can wear out. You can load that bobbin correctly all day but if the gears are worn or broken you won't be able to pick-up the bobbin thread.

Step One: try following the user guide instructions for your machine to load the bobbin into your machine. Pay especial attention to the thread path for the bobbin thread.

If that doesn't help you may have a broken or worn bobbin gear(s) somewhere in the works between where you wind the bobbin and where the bobbin is loaded OR the timing is off-a job for a qualified technician. Shouldn't cost more than $80USD for the repair+a check-up and tune-up of the machine. Be sure to get detailed information from the repair tech as to what happened and why so that you can avoid a repeat in the future.

I don't know what else to do because I've followed all of the fixing procedures. I'm frustrated coz my new mini sewing machine is refusing to catch thread from the lower bobbin. Please what else can I do? I just bought the machine.

Could having the wrong bobbin be the problem of the thread not catching?

I have kindly been given a Singer 447 machine. I set it up and it was working fine for a while, but now it won't pick up the bottom thread. I have re-threaded and check the bobbin. With the plate off I can see that the bottom bobbin does not seem to be moving. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks.

My Memory Craft 8000 will not pick up the bobbin thread. How can I reset the hook to pick up the top tread? I have looked online and found no answers.

I bought a 2nd hand Sewland kids sewing machine at the op shop. It didn't come with a bobbin case. Should it have one? I can't seem to pick up the bobbin thread without one.

This is a borrowed machine, a Singer Stylist 418. I have a model similar to this but a few years newer. They operate basically the same. My problem is with the bobbin. The needle will not pick up the thread....nothing. The bobbin was almost empty, and the thread caught inside the bobbin area. It would not come out, I pulled it hard and it broke off. I rewound a new bobbin, and the needle, unlike my machine, went up and down during the winding process. Now, it will not pick up the thread. I changed the needle, adjusted the needle, re-threaded the machine several times, the bobbin is in correctly. I took out the bobbin housing and removed the little piece of thread left in the area. Any advice from someone?

Answers

First, here's a link to a free user manual download from the Singer website:

http://www.sing  45b39af1873c.pdf

Use the troubleshooting pages at the back of the booklet to see if there is any helpful tips you can use - I don't think you'll find any help there, though, because after years of repairing vintage Singers including Stylists (usually the 513), I can say with near 100% certainty that the problem is a worn bobbin gear. These were made with silicone during the Stylist years (late 60s through mid-late 80s). Replacing one isn't a home fix - you need to take the machine to a repair tech.

I could be wrong - it could be a stubborn piece of thread or fluff has lodged somewhere you can't see, or it could be a couple of other things - the only person who can get this machine back to sewing condition is a repair tech with the machine on his/her bench so it can be properly checked.

Be warned - with the Stylist line, once the bobbin gear goes and needs to be replaced, other parts start to go as well, and it doesn't take very long for the machine to become a 'money pit'. As you've borrowed the machine, you're the unlucky person using it at the time the part 'died' and are therefore honour bound to have it fixed. This part gives no warning, it just goes when it goes, and you were the one on it when it did - nothing you did wrong, it's just Time having its way with the machine. Have it fixed and then never borrow it again because it's only a matter of sooner rather than later before another of the silicone parts fails.

My machine is new, but when I go to sew, the bobbin thread doesn't come up and the needle thread is hooking all over the bobbin. Why?

By Atinus from Kusunti, Nepal

Answers

Check your manual. and then take it back to the dealer. I am sure it is one of those simple things that drive us nutz sometimes.

I have just bought a used Home Elite Pro. I threaded it like the manual said, but the needle is not pulling up the bobbin thread. I've used a sewing machine once in my life so I'm not experienced. How do I make it work?

By JB

Answers

Often it is because the needle is too short. Try a different brand or don't push all the way up when installing the present needle. It will eventually work it's way up though.

My sewing machine needle keeps hitting something and my bobbin will not loop at the bottom.

By blazing from OKC, OK

Answers

The needle may not be in correctly.
Check your presser foot that it is in correctly.
Hand roll the machine so you can see where it is hitting. It might be the dogs have moved.
Make sure the bobbin shuttle is locked in place.
Could be timing.

Ria

The timing gear is out of "whack", take it to a repair shop, there is no quick fix I can think of. Good luck.

I'd certainly change the needle, you may not be able to tell whilst in position but even very slight bend on it will stop it picking up and probably hit either the plate or bobbin case. Another thing to check is that the bobbin thread is not tangled or too tightly wound.

My New Home machine was working fine. Then it stopped picking up the bobbin thread. Why?

I've borrowed a sewing machine for a small project and although I've tried and retried, the bobbin thread is just not catching in the needle. The bobbin doesn't even move! I've no idea what to try next. Any ideas?

By Laura B

I have read all the possible solutions for my top thread not catching the bobbin thread. I have checked the bobbin timing and it is fine. I have checked my tension (and tried it at several different settings). I have the same thread in both the bobbin and top thread, I've changed the needles (flat side to back) and the thread is good quality. It's just not catching. It was working fine, now nothing I do helps. I'm in the middle of a time sensitive project and can't afford a new machine. Please help!

By Cindy T

Answers

After reading your list of things you've tried, there are only two other things that could be causing the top thread to not be catching the bobbin thread:

1 Had you just wound a bobbin and have forgot to switch the machine back to sewing mode?

2 A worn or broken bobbin gear inside the machine.

How old is your machine? If it's more than 10-15 years old, your machine is considered 'old' or even 'vintage' by some manufacturers. The older your machine is the more chance the problem is the bobbin gear, and not all those gears are being 'newly milled' anymore - the repair may mean using a salvage part that will not have the same reliability as a newly milled part.

In the USA just the repair to a vintage machine including the part should cost you under $50, possibly less if the machine is one of the common brands and the repair tech has a part in his/her workshop. The tech may try to upsell you on a complete servicing which will bump your total closer to $100 (repair+part+cleaning+oiling+checking machine over for other potential problems) - let him/her know how much you can afford to spend because this will also prevent him/her from trying to 'upgrade' you to a new or well-serviced sewing machine.

Generally, most techs will work with you because they love sewing and want to get you back behind the needle of your beloved machine. Er, some aren't that nice, so be sure to be clear with the tech about your budget.

The tech may have to special order the part if the machine is a model with a lot of features, or is a computerised machine. More features means more moving parts inside the machine which makes it harder for the tech to get to the bobbin gear. A computerised machine may make the repair more complicated too. Any complications like that will raise the price of the repair.

Is there someone you can borrow a machine from while yours is being repaired?

I have a singer, not sure of model but I threaded my machine as always. I tested it on a piece of brown cotton to make sure all is well. It works perfect, So now I try to sew a dress (made of viscose, polyester, elasticine) and it's not sewing. The thread is not catching. So I re-tried it on the brown cotton. Works fine. Please explain what I am doing wrong and how can I fix it?

By Jinai

Answers

Try reading this:
http://www.thre  tension/page/all

This article seems to know what it's talking about and mentions needing to change tension for different threads and fabrics. Since your machine works fine on one sort of fabric, there's likely nothing wrong with it!

Have a great day!

Could be your needle and threads both upper and bobbin.

You write that you are using viscose (called rayon in the US), polyester, and elasticine...these are most often a somewhat stretchy fabric, and require special needles ('ballpoint', or 'jersey' in the UK) for sewing successfully - if the needle you are using is working for the cotton but not the more stretchy fabrics, odds are very high that you are not using the correct sewing machine needle.

Refer to your sewing machine user guide. If you don't have one, post a picture of your machine and I can probably identify it for you and find you a link to the free download.

The Singer company website is fantastic about making user guides available for free download but you do need to know your machine model. Depending on the age of your machine, the information could be anywhere on the machine, but is usually on the machine front (for example, my Talent 3321, a modern electric, has the words 'Singer Talent' along the upper frame), or on the bottom right near the electrics connection.

If you are sewing on a truly vintage machine, the identification is usually on a small metal plate somewhere on the machine (varies with age and country of manufacture - a lot of our UK late 60s and 70s made machines were imported in from the Italian Singer factory).

May I make a suggestion? Singer puts out an outstanding reference book called Singer Complete Photo Guide to Sewing. Wonderful book, you can find a nice, used copy on Amazon.co.uk or buy it new for around £22 in the UK, or if in the US, for under $30USD. Good investment, I highly recommend it to the new-to-sewing students I teach up here in NE Scotland.

Good luck, please feel free to message me for more info.

I bought 2 Brother sewing machines. One is with my mother-in-law and the other is here in my home. Both sewing machines are having the same problem. You can not thread them from the bobbin. I would say this is a manufacturing problem. So my question is, How do I get 2 new ones without having to pay out the nose again?

By Debbra M

Answers

I don't understand when you say "I can't thread them from the bobbin". What does that mean? If you can't figure them out, go to a Brother dealer (not Walmart or one that sells them with no education on it) and show them what you mean.

You didn't have how long you've had them. If you can't return them to the place you bought them I'd go up the ladder (President, CEO, Etc) withing the company and I'd complain big time until I got a replacement.

I have a Singer Simple sewing machine. When I start sewing with it the top thread won't stay threaded through the needle. I just got it about two weeks ago and it was sewing fine, but now I cannot get the thread to stay.

By Stephanie from Whiteville, NC

Answers

Take it back to the dealer. But before you do, read the manual. Are you leaving a long enough thread tail?

Reasons why a new sewing machine needle won't stay threaded are many: too thick thread for the needle being used; too short a thread tail; incorrect tension setting; old, worn, damaged needles; starting the stitching too fast; incorrect stitch width, length, and pattern selected...check the user guide that came with your machine for the troubleshooting pages to see what is suggested.

I have the Singer Talent which is very similar to your Simple. My Talent often does the same thing-throws the thread out and the reason is always one of the above, usually that I start too fast.

Those new electronic foot pedals are really sensitive and it's not easy to control them-lol, I teach home sewing and have to remind my students that it's not their fault when the machine zooms off as they begin a stitching line!

I have a Singer Simple sewing machine and it worked fine. Now when I try to sew, the needle will go into the material, but the thread does not stay. It's like I don't have thread in the needle, but clearly I do. The thread stays in the needle it just doesn't go into the material. I was told it could be out of time? What can I do?

By marra m.

Answers

What your describing doesn't sound like a timing problem. A mis-timed machine would make a clunking sound as the needle hit the throat plate or banged against the hook or bobbin case. Just in case, though, here's a link to a great timing fix resource:

http://www.sewitworks.com/timing/

And here is a link to the manual for that machine-you want to look at page 54 for the troubleshooting info:

http://www.sing  df6168ffecf0.pdf

What I think may be the case is an incorrect loading of the bobbin. See page 13 of the manual for more info on correct loading. Those 'front load' bobbins are difficult to seat properly and if not seated properly can cause the trouble you are describing.

Sometimes starting the whole process from the beginning (rethread upper thread through to needle, reload bobbin and case, check feed dogs, etc) can solve a problem. You're left scratching your head most of the time, lol, but you often are able to get back to sewing, too.

Good luck, please update on what ends up being the problem and solution.

First things...change needles frequently and check the bobbin. Are there any threads etc that are caught. Clean it out underneath and get rid of the dust etc.
There are excellent U-TUBE videos about adjusting the timing, or on-line with Singer...may give details specific to your machine.

If your worried about making it worse... take it in for a tune-up. Well worth the money. I found a retired gent near me that did this for a hobby and charged minimal amounts for his work. The shops were using him too, so by going directly, I saved the cost and time of the shop sending it out to him.
Just check local ads and the yellow-pages near you.

Help! My machine was working fine till I had to refill a bobbin. Now my top thread makes loops around the bottom thread, but the bottom thread just stays straight. When I stop sewing I can pull the bottom thread straight out of my stitches. How do I fix this?

By Stephanie

Answers

The top thread is the upper thread that comes from the spool atop your machine.

The bottom thread is the bobbin thread.

The problem you are describing is solved by an adjustment to the tension discs-consult your owner's manual (user guide) for instructions on making the right adjustment on your model machine.

The upper tension discs adjustment knob or wheel is usually located as a knob (dial) somewhere on the front of the machine near the part of the machine just before the upper thread goes down to be threaded through the machine needle, but some machines have a 'wheel' with a number display.

Usually when the upper thread loops badly the way you describe, and the bobbin thread isn't being pulled into the middle of the fabric to form the lock-stitch in combination with the upper thread (hence the upper thread loops over the bobbin thread), it usually means the upper tension is too loose-you need to tighten the tension.

To tighten, move the knob or wheel setting to a higher number. Test on a fair sized piece of scrap of the fabric you are sewing, and write down the correct tension for that material so that you can re-set if needed.

Now, here's where it gets a little more difficult-sometimes (very rarely but it does happen) the act of removing and reseating the bobbin causes the BOBBIN case tension to be changed. If you have a removable, side or front load bobbin, you may be able to tighten the bobbin tension using a screwdriver in that tiny little screw you'll see when you look for it on the removable case. Then run a test seam line to be sure you've got the right setting.

If you have a sewing machine that is a 'top drop-in' bobbin, there may be lint caught in the under plate area. Take your machine lint brush and kind of swish around under the throat plate, and then try running a seam line.

If none-of-the-above helps, it's time to take your machine to a professional:)

There is a slot that the thread has to go through, make sure the thread is in there. This slot holds the thread, if it is not in the slot the bobbin will sometime hop around. Also try using the same thread in top & bottom.

I have the Janome Sewist 521. My machine won't pick up the bobbin thread. I doubt it's the timing! The thread is not moving down at all :( The timing is spinning, but can't catch the thread because it is not moving an inch.
Please help!

My mini sewing machine V201 is working, but not stitching clothes because the bobbin thread is not working with the reel thread. So I want to know why the bobbin thread is not working and how to fix?

I was sewing fine with my machine and while doing so, my garment got caught. I removed it and tried to sew again, but somehow now it's not catching the bobbin tread. What can I do to fix this problem. I need help now please!

I have a Shark Intel Euro Pro X and I can't get the bobbin thread to come up. The neddle hits the bottom of the bobbin case. I have the right needle in and it is threaded right. This happened before and they tuned it. How do I do that?

Around Thanksgiving I bought a gorgeous Singer 66 treadle machine that I found on Craigslist. I had decided that I wanted to take up sewing. Apart from some very simple hand-sewing repairs I am a complete novice/newbie. I needed a machine. Since I moved from the Netherlands to the USA in May I don't really have anyone that I can ask for an old/unused one, plus I really like the older machines that don't need electricity.

She was totally rusted and dirty, the threadle band was rotten and everything was jammed, but all the original parts are present as far as we can tell and I found the user manual online. My husband and I restored her back to working order, made every part move again, did some major de-rusting and I got myself all excited about finally being able to make my own (almost equally vintage) clothes.

When trying to start to sew, we ran into a problem. The bobbin thread is not picking up. After going through what seemed to be the entire internet to no avail, I let the machine sit for a couple of weeks in the hopes a miracle would happen. Then this weekend I decided to give my search on the web another try. I found a very useful tutorial on how to adjust the timing on my machine, which I did. This is a major step forward, because now the hook finally grabs the upper thread! Running the machine without the bobbin and bobbin case in works very smoothly now!

But when I put the bobbin case and the bobbin (metal Singer-brand type 66 bobbins, 99% sure those are the right type of bobbins for this threadle machine) and try to run the machine, the upper thread gets caught on the top side of the bobbin area. I added two pictures, one with the bobbin case but no bobbin and one with the bobbin case and a (wound and right way around inserted) bobbin, to try to illustrate what happens. Also I believe the bobbin thread is not being picked up by the upper thread when coming back up, but because the machine keeps jamming before that can even happen I am not really sure about that. I just stop turning the wheel and turn it backwards to unstick the machine before I break any needles or actually important (and probably expensive) parts.

I can't find any pictures/videos of this model machine that can show me how the thread is supposed to run, so I have no reference point whatsoever in determining what goes wrong, hence me asking my question here. I'm using brand new Singer-brand needles and have tried re-threading the machine multiple times.

My gratitude will be never-ending for the person who can tell me what I'm doing wrong and how I can fix it, to help me to finally get to sewing!

*Edit* I found a picture of what it's supposed to look like (as well as a bunch of other very useful manuals) on this website that was mentioned with somebody else's question: http://www.tfsr.org/publications/technical_information/sewing_machine_manual/

Judging from that picture I guess what the machine is doing is exactly what it should be doing, still (probably even more so) leaving me baffled by why it jams. The thread does not go all the way over the bobbin case most of the time, thus sliding back to where it came from and then getting stuck on (probably) the hook. Please help!

Load More