Tips for Coring or Hulling Strawberries

Category Fruit
Removing the stems and cores from a basket of strawberries takes time. There are ways to speed this process up a bit. This is a guide about tips for coring and hulling strawberries.

Many suggestions are floating around for this chore, but yesterday I found the winner. Many of the tools are dangerous (e.g., a paring knife). However, I took a pair of needle-nosed pliers to the task. All I did was slide the pliers under the hull, catching the stem, and lift the hull off. I did two quarts in a very short amount of time. Wish I had discovered this earlier. At 81, I have done quart after quart in my lifetime. This method is also safe for young people, no sharp points or edges.

When cleaning strawberries, use a heavy plastic straw, one that does not bend easily, and push it up through the berry from the bottom. The core is removed easily and none of the berry is wasted. Magic!

By Sandra M.

Now that strawberry season is here in Florida, I want to share a tip to hull them quickly and with nearly no waste. Use the small end of a melon baller. This technique works so slick!

By NoRulesArt from sunny Florida