Measuring Ingredients

Category Helpful Hints
Having the correct amount of your wet and dry ingredients, is important for your recipe to be a success. This guide contains tips for measuring ingredients.

I have two suggestions that will speak to the klutz in all of us. When measuring rice to cook, I set my measuring cup in the saucepan I will be using. When I pour the rice in, I place one hand as a guard to keep the rice from spilling onto the counter. I then empty the cup into the pan, add the right amount of water and cook.

The next one is to set my coffee canister in the sink when I fill it. Any spillage can be taken care of by turning on the faucet. As a person who spills and slops a lot this has been helpful to me. I certainly hope I'm not the only one who needs it.

By Marty Dick from Houston, TX

Whenever a recipe calls for honey, first measure out the oil for the recipe (or if it doesn't call for oil, just spread a little oil all over the measuring cup), then measure out the honey, and it should come out of the cup like a charm!

When I was a little girl, I invented a little "short-cut" in cleaning up after myself when I was done baking.

As we all know, cleaning measuring cups with leftover shortening on them can be quite a pain, so I would use plastic wrap, cover the entire length of the cup, its depth, and width, and pack the required amount of shortening, making sure to fill any bubbles or holes. When I was done with the measuring cup full of shortening, I would simply throw the plastic wrap away. This tip is valuable in saving a lot of cleanup time. I hope you try it and see how easy it is!

By Lauren-Ashley

I buy plastic measuring cups at the dollar store and then leave them in bulk bins of sugar, rice, flour, brown sugar, oatmeal etc. This saves me times in washing the cup each time I need to measure one of these dry ingredients.

By kmcb59 from WA State

When measuring lard, shortening, peanut butter, or other such ingredients, I use the displacement method for easy measuring and clean-up.

Spray an ice cream scooper with Pam, the use it to scoop out peanut butter or shortening, your finger will be kept clean! I scoop equals 1/4 cup.

Have two different 2 cup sized measuring cups for making recipes. Use one cup exclusively for dry ingredients and one for wet.

When baking, I use my ice cream scoop to measure shortening or peanut butter. It is the type with a lever you push and it goes around the inside edge of the scoop to empty.

Maybe I'm the only one that has done this, but when measuring a cup of flour from this small bag, I have been doing it in the bag and it was hard. I finally figured out a better way to do it.

Some of our butter and shortening wrappers have markings on them for measuring like 1 cup, 1/2 cup, and 1/4 cup. Copy this "ruler" onto the front page of your recipe book.

Tips on organizing measuring cups and spoons.

When making peanut butter cookies, coat your measuring cup with oil before measuring peanut butter. It will make the cleanup easier.

When preparing a dish with anything sticky like syrups, honey, molasses, or peanut butter, spray your spoon and measuring cup with a non-stick cooking spray.

Two sets of measuring cups and spoons are a must for any kitchen. Use one to measure the wet ingredients, one for the dry. This saves the wash and dry time exercise when cooking or baking.

This is a guide about measuring shortening. Measuring shortening can be difficult because it sticks to the measuring cup. Here are some great tips for making it easier to measure shortening.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Measuring Honey. I haven't been baking for very long, maybe you already know this trick.

Has anyone ever used or heard of narrow measuring spoons? They are supposed to eliminate spilling and wasting spices when measuring from narrow mouth jars. Also, does anyone have any tips other than special spoons to prevent the spilling?

Thanks,
P.J. from Delaware

Answers

By Guest (Guest Post)

I live in Los Angeles, California and have a set of stainless steel narrow measuring spoons that I bought in a local store called Sur La Table. Their website is surlatable.com and you will find they sell both oval and round measuring spoons for regular measuring and also spice measuring spoons, which are shaped like little narrow shovels with raised sides.

I have a tip for measuring extracts which come in those flat bottles which can tip over easily. Most of them have a paper or foil covering after you take the lid off. I poke a tiny little hole in the paper with the point of a sharp knife. I can still pour into a spoon but if the bottle turns over it will not spill.

I was always spilling liquid measures when using those spoons. I have discovered mini glasses that have tsp and Tbsp measures. They sell them in Bed, Bath & Beyond or a store called Raindew, by me.

The best ones are glass, if you can find one as most are plastic. The plastic ones seem to never get really cleaned especially when measuring oils.

Before you pour sticky substance into a measuring cup, fill cup with hot water. Dump the water out, but do not dry. Add your ingredient (peanut butter, honey, etc), and watch how easily it comes right out!

By Lisa Otts from Hernando, MS

Answers:

Measuring Sticky Ingredients

That does work! (02/24/2010)

By Jo

Honey in your recipe? If you coat your measuring cup or spoon with oil or a spray of Pam, the honey will slide out easily and you won't have a sticky mess to clean up.

By Samantha Lyons from New Jersey

Before you pour sticky substances into a measuring cup, fill it with hot water. Dump out the hot water, but don't dry the cup. Next, add your sticky ingredient, such as peanut butter, and watch how easily it comes right out.

By LRP from LOWELL, MASS

If you're baking for the holidays and the recipe calls for molasses, corn syrup, or another thick, sticky ingredient, spray the measuring cup with cooking spray first and it will slide right out.

By Camilla

Because I bake things often, I have purchased several sets of extra measuring cups and spoons I have found on sale days, I put the usual measure into the container for items like flours, sugars, leavening agents, oatmeal, etc., and leave them there. Saves time and washing, and extra mess because I can keep the bowls over the container while measuring.

By Joy