Measuring Ingredients

I have two suggestions that will speak to the klutz in all of us. When measuring rice to cook, I set my measuring cup in the saucepan I will be using. When I pour the rice in, I place one hand as a guard to keep the rice from spilling onto the counter. I then empty the cup into the pan, add the right amount of water and cook.

The next one is to set my coffee canister in the sink when I fill it. Any spillage can be taken care of by turning on the faucet. As a person who spills and slops a lot this has been helpful to me. I certainly hope I'm not the only one who needs it.

By Marty Dick from Houston, TX

19 More Solutions

Whenever a recipe calls for honey, first measure out the oil for the recipe (or if it doesn't call for oil, just spread a little oil all over the measuring cup), then measure out the honey, and it should come out of the cup like a charm!

When I was a little girl, I invented a little "short-cut" in cleaning up after myself when I was done baking.

I buy plastic measuring cups at the dollar store and then leave them in bulk bins of sugar, rice, flour, brown sugar, oatmeal etc. This saves me times in washing the cup each time I need to measure one of these dry ingredients.

If you need to measure sticky things like molasses, syrup, honey, or peanut butter, lightly grease your measuring instruments first. This will allow the contents to slide right out without any fuss.

Grease Measuring Cup for Sticky Ingredients

Have two different 2 cup sized measuring cups for making recipes. Use one cup exclusively for dry ingredients and one for wet.

Measuring Wet and Dry Ingredients

Spray an ice cream scooper with Pam, the use it to scoop out peanut butter or shortening, your finger will be kept clean! I scoop equals 1/4 cup.

When baking, I use my ice cream scoop to measure shortening or peanut butter. It is the type with a lever you push and it goes around the inside edge of the scoop to empty.

Maybe I'm the only one that has done this, but when measuring a cup of flour from this small bag, I have been doing it in the bag and it was hard. I finally figured out a better way to do it.

Measuring from a Small Container

Some of our butter and shortening wrappers have markings on them for measuring like 1 cup, 1/2 cup, and 1/4 cup. Copy this "ruler" onto the front page of your recipe book.

Tips on organizing measuring cups and spoons.

When preparing a dish with anything sticky like syrups, honey, molasses, or peanut butter, spray your spoon and measuring cup with a non-stick cooking spray.

Two sets of measuring cups and spoons are a must for any kitchen. Use one to measure the wet ingredients, one for the dry. This saves the wash and dry time exercise when cooking or baking.

Measuring Honey. I haven't been baking for very long, maybe you already know this trick.

This recipe calls for 2 3/4 cups of elbow macaroni. So is that 1 box or 2 boxes? Then it says 3/4lb grated cheese. How many cups is that? Numbers and I are not friends. Can someone one help me so I don't mess up.

Thanks in advance.

Answers

Best Answer

There are usually 4 cups of pasta in a one pound box so you only need one box. 1/4 pound of cheese is one cup so you need 3 cups.

Best Answer

According to this source www.howmany.wiki/.../How-many--cup--of--cheddar+cheese...
1/4 pound of cheddar cheese equals 1/2 cup so if you're using cheddar cheese in the recipe, you'll need 1 1/2 cups of cheese. The pound to cup ratio varies depending on what type of cheese you're using.

Answer this Question

Has anyone ever used or heard of narrow measuring spoons? They are supposed to eliminate spilling and wasting spices when measuring from narrow mouth jars. Also, does anyone have any tips other than special spoons to prevent the spilling?

Thanks,
P.J. from Delaware

Answers

By Guest (Guest Post)

I live in Los Angeles, California and have a set of stainless steel narrow measuring spoons that I bought in a local store called Sur La Table. Their website is surlatable.com and you will find they sell both oval and round measuring spoons for regular measuring and also spice measuring spoons, which are shaped like little narrow shovels with raised sides.

I have a tip for measuring extracts which come in those flat bottles which can tip over easily. Most of them have a paper or foil covering after you take the lid off. I poke a tiny little hole in the paper with the point of a sharp knife. I can still pour into a spoon but if the bottle turns over it will not spill.

It can be difficult to remove sticky ingredients such as peanut butter, lard, or molasses from the measuring cups. Here are a few methods to have the ingredients slide right out.

A measuring cup of peanut butter.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes
Load More
Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsDecember 19, 2012
🌻
🐛
👔
👒
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Tips-for-Measuring-Ingredients.html