Tips for the Visually Impaired

0
Share
Pin
Save
Follow
Print

Do you love to read but have trouble with standard print? Do you have physical problems that make holding a standard or larger book difficult or impossible? This library is for you.

I first learned about the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLSBP) after that near-fatal encounter with a drunk driver. Being left almost totally blind robbed me of my ability to read print of any size. I was going crazy from boredom! I wish I could remember who first mentioned this special library so I could thank them. This service has once again opened the world of books to me.

The NLSBP loans reading matter in Braille and audio format to eligible US citizens of all ages, both Stateside and abroad. Of course, they also provide the equipment. I have both a digital Talking Book machine (DTBM) and a C1-style cassette Talking Book player. (I tried the EZ style, but the C1 wasn't hard to learn and works better.) Both styles of reading machine come with instructions. The digital player's instructions are built in, the cassette machine's instructions are included in cassette format with every machine. Both machine styles are mine on permanent loan. If something goes wrong, I just contact the library and they send me a new machine.

All items are sent free for the blind or physically handicapped. I receive mine from my closest cooperating library, which is located in Cleveland, Ohio. However, there are cooperating libraries nationwide. To speak to a librarian in your service area during normal business hours, call 1-888-NLS-READ (toll free.)

Here's the link to the NLSBP home page. The phone number above, I located by scrolling to the line that reads "for more information, press enter" and then I hit enter, lol!

And here's the page where you can learn who's eligible:

Once you're determined eligible, you can branch out. I download some books from my Cleveland Library catalog website, and some from the Braille and Audio Reading Download (BARD) website. I also download my fave magazine, Reader's Digest, free from the American Printinghouse for the Blind (APH) website. Hope I'm not overwhelming you with information. Happy reading!

By Lelia Jo Cordell from Springfield, Ohio

7 More Solutions

If you're like me, and need reading glasses, you may not be able to distinguish the shampoo and cream rinse in the shower due to their similar appearance.

Between age and infirmity, I often do not see what's right in front of me, and I am plagued with not being able to find things. When someone comes to visit, I ask to "borrow" their eyes to look for these things. Often they are found within minutes and we both have a good laugh.

You can increase or decrease the reading fonts in your browser:

I live in a retirement community and we have a lady who comes to play games with us! Several of our members cannot see well enough to do crossword and we were wondering if you could suggest a method for us to do that? Also, we do play a "guessing" type game, where the leader gives the first 2 letters and then the definition of a word.

We are trying to find a way for all of us to do crossword because it is a favorite. We also do Wheel of Fortune and words w/o vowels and try to guess the word from the consonants. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you for considering us.

Lucille H and Ruth K

By Lu H

Answers

Best Answer

Take the crossword to a copy center and have it enlarged; or (alternately), scan it into your computer and print it out larger--though you may have to piece it together. If you want to do it as a group, see if you can get a hold of an overhead projector, and copy the crossword puzzle onto a transparency slide (many home printers can do this, or you can do it at a copy center. This might cost a wee bit more, but the puzzled can be reused!

Best Answer

I have a suggestion for a game. Make some cards with letters on them (one per card) You deal them out, first consonants and then vowels. Each person gets 4 consonants and two vowels. They have a sheet of paper and a pen. When you flip an egg timer and say go they look at the cards(letters) they have and write down as many words as they can using those letters before the egg timer runs out. You play best three out of five so people who get hard cards have a chance to do better with other cards.

Best Answer

Thanks for thinking of us blind folks when working on crosswords! I'm nearly totally blind, but have always loved word games. Here's my suggestion: Read the crossword clue aloud, give the number of letters in the answer, and if appropriate, recite blanks and filled-in letters. My younger daughter and I have solved a few crossword clues over the phone that way. If it's group participation, perhaps you could keep track of who solves the most clues and give a small prize.

Answer this Question

Has anyone thought of forks that have LED lights that shine towards the plate? My husband has RP, and I was thinking of something to help him. I think it would be a great idea. I'm not out to make money, just to help me husband have a normal meal.

Even a plate could light up the food, that would work also. So if anyone knows of something like this please let me know. I know many others could benefit from this. Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

YES indeed! Go to glowsource.com and you can find glowing handles on plastic flatware utensils with different colors to choose. They have a one pc. set under $2.00 Also, you can buy inexpensive clear "LED light up plates" that has several colors and 16 oz plastic tumblers. Hope this greatly helps the need.

Best Answer

Eatsy has a whole line of plates, glasses, silverware and much more for the visually impaired. You can check out this site to help you find a few other items that will work for your husband - www.behance.net/.../EATSY-Adaptive-Tableware-for-the...

You can also find a 12 piece set on Amazon - www.amazon.com/.../B00JRG2556 (Affiliate Link)

This site has a lot of items that are fantastic and they should work for you - www.alibaba.com/.../led-light-up-cutlery.html

Answer this Question

Which colour of dinner plate should I buy? My friend has very bad eyesight. Does anyone know which colour would show the food up best? I have used white plates, but that doesn't seem to work. Any suggestions folks!

Thanks.

By Fran from Fife, Scotland

Answers

I don't know if plate color matters, but there is a specific way that food is supposed to be arranged on a plate for the blind. I can't remember what it is, but I am sure if you google it, you will find something on the topic.

I think more important than the plate color is the contrast between placemat, plate, and food. Maybe a very dark placemat, white plate, and dark foods; or a white placemat, dark plate, and light colored foods.

The idea of food placement is an oldie but goodie, too, think of the plate like a clock, for example meat is between 12 and 3; veggies between 3 and 6; starch between 6 and 9; and relishes between 9 and 12.

My great grand aunt has macular degeneration and her vision is almost gone. I use clear glass plates with placemats under them. I have lots of different colours of placemats and use whichever colour provides the highest contrast to the food I'm serving at each meal. Also follow the placement guides others have posted. The contrasting colours are to enable her to see IF there is food there, not which food is where.

I am fairly sure that JustPlainJo will comment here but in case she doesn't go to the following link and at the end of her article click on 'JustPlainJo' and there will be a contact button. She's an awesome person to ask and I know she would be happy to give you some helpful advice :-) You might want to also read her many posts about assorted subjects regarding blind/legally blind.
www.thriftyfun.com/tf37410769.tip.html

Anyone tried eye drops and/or nutritional supplements which improve the vision (cartaract/blurred vision)? How about Catalin eyedrop? How about Sharp Vision (by Irwin Nat'l)?

Many thanks!

Shanna Lu from Seattle, WA

Answers

By Angela (Guest Post)

I have been taking Bilberry tablets for over a year now, don't think they improve my vision but my eyes are not so sore and watery like they use to be. Just take 1 a day.

i do not know much but i know that my Grandfather was told to use Ocuvite tablets

I like Similisan eye drops. They have drops for dry eyes, cataracts and pink eye. I know, for a fact, that the "pink eye" drops work! The "dry eye" drops are good, too. I'm using the "cataract" drops right now, but don't really know if they're helping any. You can find them at most drug stores, or K-Mart, Walmart, etc.

By rosa (Guest Post)

Have you been to the eye dr? He should tell you for sure what to do, have you had the cataracts removed? Best thing that ever happened to me, I can see great without my glasses also. Please see you eye dr, the eyes are nothing to fool with. rose

billberry was actually taken by WW2 fighter pilots for beter night vision. i take it and can actually tell that my night vision is improved.

By Carol in PA (Guest Post)

Ocuvite and Eyevite are two good brands of vitamins for the eyes. However, the people who I knew used them had poor vision from macular degeneration.

Eat carrots. Its true vitamin A is good for your eyes. (smile) Also, try any dark yellow fruit or veggie. I like apricots. Yum

Its best to check with your doctor.
Best wishes for good luck.

Use the Thriftyfun search feature. Type in non-surgical cataract removal. Click on first item, Nu Eyes Review, for discussion. I would love to find eyedrops that really work.

Better Living Self HelpMay 21, 2014
🌻
👒
👔
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Tips-for-Visually-Impaired-Readers.html