This quick and easy clay pot craft uses a green pom-pom and fake flowers to make a decorative topiary bush. A great kids craft that can also make a cute addition to any Barbie/Bratz home or dollhouse.
Approximate Time: 10 minutes
- clay pot - 2 inches tall
- green pom-poms - 2 - 3 inches big
- stick - 4 or 5 inches long, thin
- white fake flowers - 18 to 24 - 1/4 inch big
- blue and white ribbon - 1 inch thick, 6 inches long
- craft glue
- blue paint
- Paint the clay pot blue, both inside and out, as shown in the "Step 1" picture. Let paint dry.
- Add a band of decoration around the wide rim. You can paint the decoration, or use some glue and ribbon, wallpaper, shelf paper, wrapping paper, or whatever you want. Just make sure to keep it looking like a decorative "band", and not a ribbon and bow. I used a blue and white ribbon. I pulled it tight and glued it in a flat band around the clay pot, as shown in the "Step 2" picture. Once finished decorating, let paint or glue dry.
- Glue the bottom of the stick to a green pom-pom. Drizzle a little glue on the end and push it in the pom-pom, then let dry.
- Glue the pom-pom inside the clay pot, as shown in the "Step 3" picture.
- Glue the second pom-pom on top of the the stick, making a tree trunk and tree. Remember to press the pom-pom onto the stick so it glues securely, as shown in the picture. Let the glue dry.
- Use stickers, paint, beads, or fake flowers to decorate the pom-pom "bush". I used tiny, white, fake flowers and a little craft glue. Glue decorations to pom-pom as shown in the finished project picture. Let glue dry.
Make two of these as formal decorations outside a fancy dollhouse castle or as a decorative plant in the corner of a Barbie doll mansion. You can make the "trunk" part as short or as long as you want, so it's easy to customize for whatever the exact scale. The stick can be real wood, wire, a chenille stem, or whatever you want.
As long as everything is glued properly, the item should put up with a fair amount of abuse and still last. If something does end up falling off, though, it's always easy to fix. Pom-poms are also great for sucking up fragrant oils and making them last a little longer, so sprinkle a little on one to help freshen up a room.
This topiary makes a nice wedding or housewarming gift without spending a fortune. It's a great way to use those decorative containers that are taking up cabinet space too. I used a sugar bowl that was missing it's lid. While you are at it, make two and keep one for yourself!
Approximate Time: Approx. 1 hour
- container of your choice
- small block of Styrofoam to fit container
- stick or scrap piece of 3/8" dowel rod
- Styrofoam ball
- ribbon rose buds
- hot glue gun and glue sticks
- small piece of ivy
- Spanish moss
The size of your styrofoam ball and stick or dowel rod will depend upon the size of your container. You don't want your topiary to look too top heavy. I used a 4 inch ball and 7 inch stick in the one pictured.
- Place a piece of styrofoam in the container.
- Push the stick or dowel rod into the center of the Styrofoam and glue some Spanish moss around the base of the stick or dowel rod so you cannot see the Styrofoam.
- Set the container aside.
- Using a hot glue gun, glue the ribbon rose buds all around the Styrofoam ball until it is completely covered.
- Push the Styrofoam ball onto the stick or dowel rod until it is inserted about 1 inch so that it is secure.
- Wrap a piece of ivy around the stick or dowel rod, gluing it in place if necessary.
- Glue two or three additional rose buds or flowers around base, if desired.
By Momof1 from Wilkesboro, NC