Topiary Watering Can Bird's Nest Decor

I found this topiary watering can for $1.49 and came up with this idea to decorate it for my patio.

Total Time: 1 hour

Yield: 1

• 1 watering can
  • strand of wired garland
  • thin wire
  • moss or dried floral materials
  • scissors
  • glue
  • Sculpeyclay
  • acrylic paint
  • paint brush
  • embellishments

1. To make the nest, I gathered up some odds and ends of leftover floral moss I had on hand. One was green, so I spray painted it with tan spray paint. The other was a natural color. I also used some green pine garland on a wire and used the tan spray paint on it.
  2. After the spray paint dried, I made up a mixture of water and glue. I added the two different kinds of moss into the mixture and mixed it thoroughly. Using the garland strand, I wound it around into a circle the same size as the diameter of the bottom of my watering can. This was what the nest would sit in so it would hold its shape. I molded the moss into a nest shape and laid it on top of the garland "mold." Then, I set it outside to dry.
  3. Advertisement

4. To make the little bird's eggs, I had some old dried up sculpey clay. Using a hair dryer, I softened the clay and then formed it into egg shapes. My first intent was to paint the eggs, but the colors of the clay worked, so I left them as is. I did, however, use a paint brush dipped into brown paint, and by flicking the end of the paintbrush, added flecks to the eggs. I baked the eggs at 275 degrees for 30 minutes. The eggs were glued into the nest and placed in the bottom of the watering can.
  5. Last, I used some wire to attach different embellishments to the watering can. These were items I had on hand.

Crafts Garden & Yard DecorationsSeptember 7, 2020
📓
😷
🎂
🎃
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Topiary-Watering-Can-Birds-Nest-Decor-1.html