Trapping Pests Near Your Hummingbird Feeder

contest winner icon

If the bees are chasing your hummingbirds from the feeders, and ants are draining them, as they are mine, you can solve the problem for the most part by making a quick and cheap trap.

1. Take a used water bottle or soda bottle and paint several dots around the bottle about 2 inches or so above the bottom. I used a red Sharpie.

2. Heat a sharp instrument and punch small holes in the middle of each hole, making is just big enough for the insects to enter. I used a metal ice pick for this step. Also put a couple holes in the cap.

3. Cut a piece of dental floss about 5 inches long, thread it through the holes in the cap, and knot it to form a loop to hang the trap.

4. Pour a little nectar in the bottle, or a little fruit juice.

5. Twist the cap on and hang it near your feeders.

It won't take long for the pests to find the trap. It won't get every one of them, but it will decrease the number. Once they go in, very few will find their way back out.

By Harlean from Hot Springs, AR

Anonymous
Top Comment

That sounds like a great idea for bees. Thank you. As for ants, we had them in armies after the hummingbird feeders
and we made "moats" for each feeder and have never had ant problems since, and it's been about 5 years now these moats have worked. I got the "moat" solution on Utube.

For keeping bees/wasps away, Plant red or dark orange geraniums around /near hummingbird feeders. Works great. I also have a "moat" on mine. Love it.

Top Comment

You can also coat the pole or wire that holds the feeder with Crisco. It has to be Crisco. Ants won't cross it and the sun doesn't melt it.

I use vaseline on the pole and it works great too. It also lasts through many rains.

I have a Hummingbird feeder moat on my feeder. Works great.

Anonymous

Will this also stop the heat wasps?

Will this also work for heat wasps?

I have been using motes and the ants are still getting to the feeders!