Treating Scabies

An extremely itchy, contagious skin infection that is caused by a tiny mite. This guide is about treating scabies.

For some time I have had a slight rash. It got bad enough to warrant a trip to the doctor. I found out that I had scabies. After countless shots and creams I still have the rash. Any good home remedies would be helpful.

Jerry from Simpsonville, SC

Answers

By brw (Guest Post)

I feel a little uneasy posting this. But whenever I have had ringworm or scabies, I have washed the areas with diluted bleach, then treated it with the cream.

Be careful to avoid broken skin or get around the eyes.

I don't know if it would work for your problem, but I have found white vinegar useful in reducing itching.

By sewlearning (Guest Post)

My daughter was told by a family doctor that she had scabies and was given treatment that didn't work. Turns out, after a trip to the dermatologist, she does not have scabies, but a condition that simply required a change in bathing products.

Wish I'd taken her to the dermatologist in the first place.

I also had the problem continue to recur. What Dr. neglected to tell me was to bomb the house. Bugs are in your bedsheets, etc and you'll need to bomb the house & wash sheets in hot water to get rid of the bugs. Then you'll be able to get rid of the rash.

We went through this when our daughter was in grade school. We bombed, we fogged, we sprayed and used Rx treatments to no avail. Our of desperation I washed everything in hot water & added vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser. I also used topical Tee Tree Oil and it cleared it up nicely.

Use over the counter lice shampoo and cover your whole body after your bath then next morning shower it off. One treatment should be all it takes. Of course all bedding must be washed also.

By Karen L (Guest Post)

My son had scabies when he was a teenager. The prescription medication did not work for him. A friend that is an RN told him to do this. Wash all over and use a buff puff, then rub alcohol on the area.

Yes, it stung like crazy but he was miserable from the itching and willing to try almost anything. It did work. I don't recommend it to anyone unless you understand that it is going to burn.

You may be getting reinfected.Do you have a dog?
You have to wash everything in very hot water.Any clothes that you have worn, too Good Luck

How do you get rid of scabies?

By Cynthia M.

Answers

That's something that you would want to go see a doctor about.

Yes - go to the doctor! These are so contagious! I caught them from a girl at school who got them from her dog, I didn't even have that much contact with her and none with her dog.

There is a cream that you use to kill them, it's by no means natural but they will spread like wildfire on you and to others if you don't. If you have a pet -have them checked as well by a vet.

I think I have scabies; there red small bites over my body. I have been to four dermatologists and they dismiss me. I itch like crazy and used permethrin cream twice, but I am still getting bitten. Please help.

By Sandi

Answers

What do you mean, "they dismiss you"? Do they not see the bites? Do they not think they are scabies? If you have used an approved scabies treatment, and the bites/rash/itch still remains, it is likely not scabies.

What does your family doctor say? Have you been to an allergy specialist, if you do indeed have an itchy rash? What do your doctors SAY is the cause of the rash? We can't give you any advice on such sketchy information.