Trimming and Upkeep of Acrylic Nails

My local nail salon charges $6 plus tip just to cut acrylic nails down. Seems a bit much for something you can do yourself, but there is a right way and a wrong way about it. If you haphazardly cut them, they can shatter vertically or diagonally, ruining them. You need a sharp pair of toenail clippers, a sturdy nail file, and nail polish. This way, you'll save yourself the money and trip to the salon.

1. Start on one side of a nail and cut half way from the outside to the middle.
  2. Move to the other side of the nail and cut into the middle from the outside, remove the excess. This two-step cut will keep your nail from shattering.
  3. The nails will be very jagged from the cuts, so file down the tips so they're smooth.
  4. Diagonally file down the tip so they curve down and look more natural.
  5. Compare each nail on one hand to the opposing hand's nail to make sure they are even.
  6. After filing them down to the desired length and shape, it's time to repaint them.
  7. Coat the nail from the cuticle upward to the tip, then covering the entire edge of the nail. Let dry.

Thanks, Toosa! I usually just file mine down (it often takes a fair bit of time) and look forward to trying your recommendations.

Rose Anne! I hope this works for you. You have such gorgeous nails but you also type as much as I do (okay, more than I do) so this should come in "handy"! (I'm so punny!)