AdviceCrafts

Trouble With Fray Check

I recently purchased some Fray Check for a project. I applied it according to the package directions and left it to dry. When I went back to start my project I was bummed to discover that it had caused the pen lines, from when I traced my templates, to run all over the fabric.

I had wanted to use the Fray Check because I didn't intend to sew and turn the items. I would be unable to hide the ink stains because of this. Instead I had to redo the fabric pieces and accept that the fabric was going to fray a little. Ultimately I decided that I liked the frayed look.

I was disappointed in how this product works and wanted to warn other users that you will want to make sure that all ink lines are trimmed off before using it. Additionally, this product has a very noxious odor that remains for a long time! I am sure it's a helpful product for some projects, but I won't use it again.

Given that ink often runs when washing fabric, the better bet would be to use dress-makers' or tailors' chalk. Pencil crayon would also work (but use a light colour to be safe).