ElectricalHome

Troubleshooting Electrical Circuit Problem

I have tried to install 5 new fans in a bedroom. They were all different makes and in all cases all of the fans have burnt out the moment I turned them on. The voltage in the ceiling is 120.

Any help would be appreciated.

Best Answer

You should check your breaker box and see what it is rated for. It seems that the addition of these 5 fans has overloaded this circuit. Therefore, you have burned up these fans. Your circuits are only rated for a certain amount of appliances or lights on each breaker. You'll need to upgrade your breaker box to stop this from happening again. You might need to also upgrade the wiring in your home to make sure it is up to specs now and can handle these types of fans you are installing.

I appreciate your input and reply however i have to modify my e/mail what i neglected to say that the fans where not added as a group but indivdualy on the same ceiling at different times and every time a new fan was tried it burnt out the remote control the voltage was 120v

It seems to me that they have overloaded the circuits, and that's why they burnt out. You may have to upgrade your electrical system. That's a job for a qualified electrician.