Trying to Establish a Child Support Order

I am trying to collect child support from my stepdaughter, but she's on SSI. I know they won't touch it, but she's also working. Will child support take payments from her work check even if she's on SSI? I have been raising her 7 year old son for his whole life with no help from anyone. Even the state won't help because I'm not his biological grandma. I also have 3 children myself I don't know what else to do. She thinks this is funny and sent me a text when she received the paperwork saying, "Haha nice try, but I get SSI they aren't going to make me pay". I just don't know where else to turn.


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

July 10, 20180 found this helpful

Her SSI payments cannot be garnished. If she works, her check can. I would report this to Social Security. You could also contact the Legal Aid Society.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
July 10, 20180 found this helpful

This sounds like you need a good lawyer to help you sort out all of the ins and outs of this complex question.

You should have a state senator nearby who can help you located a reputable legal aide service. Most also have free notary services to help.

Google your town and the phrase state senator to find the office closest to you. This is funded by tax dollars so there should be no charge for them to help you cut all the red tape.

Prayers that you find a solution!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
August 24, 20180 found this helpful

i think part of the issue comes from the legality and the child's status in your house. Also am not sure how child support laws work for women v men. Also you have to get court order of custody of the child so that the mother would be bound to pay it. I feel like if you are the custodial parent it doesn't matter whether you're the non-bio grandma or Joe Shmoe - as long as you are custodial parent to the bio parent they are legaly bound to pay


Especially after that cheeky email you may have an opportunity to straight up sue her for some sort of child support especially if she has a job but at what cost? Possibly she's counting on it being too much trouble for you to pursue legally (and at times it is)

the issue seems to be, establish custody and sue for whatever income she does happen to make

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Related Content
In This Guide
Business and Legal Legal Child SupportJuly 9, 2018
New Years Ideas!
Christmas Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.

Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2018 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Generated 2018/12/03 09:15:06 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
Loading Something Awesome!