Two Cats Mounting Each Other

I've only been able to find information online about one cat dominantly humping another, but I have two neutered male cats who hump each other in equal amounts! They're from the same litter, and are a bonded pair. One is dominant over the other, but they both take turns mounting each other just for about a minute at a time. Neither cat seems to mind much when it's their turn to be the "victim," with a benign facial expression and purring.

I watched the less dominant cat bat the more dominant cat away just now, which instantly stopped the behavior - and then they groomed each other right away and fell asleep cuddling. Then the less dominant one suddenly woke up, seemingly startled and a little trance-like (gave me a weird "I'm looking through you" stare with wide eyes), and then tried to mount the more dominant cat. I intervened before he could, distracting and then giving both cats some petting and attention once they were separated. They are still sleeping next to each other now.

What's up with them taking turns, and not being particularly aggressive about it? Is this a stress reaction? Again, they don't seem to mind, but I've also never seen them do this before (they are both 11 years old). They've just had to move with me to a much smaller house, so I imagine a lot of this might be spatial. I've read some suggestions to place food and water further apart, add a litter box, and add more toys to reduce stress and boredom during the day. What more can I do to add space or interest in a very small house, if that is indeed the problem? And is it likely that they're doing this when they're home alone during the day (usually from 8:30 AM to 3 PM)? So far I've only seen this happen after about 10 PM.

It could be stress in the home. If there is no stress, I would just ignore it.

This is called Dominance Behavior, even though they are neutered,it is something that can happen. To them contest it's who is better than the other! If you need confirmation and peace of mind,contact a Vet!

Ask your vet, but I have seen this happen and it is just cats being cats.

If they get clean bills of health, just ignore it.

This is a normal behavior in cats and also in dogs. I have 5 Bichon dogs here and 2 of them are brothers from the male and female that is here at my home.

They seem to love to do this to each other and at times I can see the small female humping the two boys. I just tell them to stop and they move on. All of my dogs are fixed so I am not worried about this behavior.

Pets Cats AdviceSeptember 17, 2019
🌻
🎃
🎂