Ube (Purple Yam) Paste
"Halukay Ube" is how we call it. It's a sweetened mashed purple yam mostly used as topping on our famous dessert called "halo-halo". Or it can be used as flavoring on cakes and ice cream or simply use it as sandwich filling.
- 300 g purple yam (cut into small cubes and soaked in 2 cups water)
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup brown sugar or 1 cup condensed milk
- pinch of salt
- In a pot or wok, pour water and purple yam and cook until the chunks are soft.
- Slowly mash purple yam chunks with a fork while cooking over low heat.
- Allow water to reduce then pour milk and stir mixture.
- Add sugar and continue stirring, adjust to medium heat.
- Stir constantly until mixture is thick and a pasty texture is achieved.
- Allow to cool and transfer in a jar. Best served when chilled.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!