Condiments & SaucesCanning

Under Processed Canned Spaghetti Sauce

I canned homemade spaghetti sauce in a hot water bath. I was to have them boil for 50 minutes, but I mistakenly boiled for 30 minutes. They are cooling now and I will check in the morning to see if the seals "popped" and I don't feel a "bubble" on the lid. If they sealed, are they OK? I'm afraid of botulism, but doesn't the lemon juice that I added help prevent botulism?

You can process again or keep in your refrigerator for up to two weeks.

This is me, because I got sick from a bad canned product, but I would never reprocesses it. It is just too iffy. Keep the batch in the fridge and use it up or freeze it.

Lemon juice is not enough to prevent botulism. It is used in conjunction with the heat and even then it is not perfect if the heat is incorrect.

Safety first!

I would not suggest to process this again. It can make you sick. You can store this in your refrigerator for a few weeks but it needs to be used up rather quickly.

Normally 2 weeks is the time that you can store it before you need to throw it away. The other option would be to put the jars in the freezer. You can keep it there for up to 3 months before you should throw it away.

Food and Recipes Canning Condiments & SaucesAugust 24, 2019
📓
🎂
🌻