Update on Brother Sewing Machine

A few weeks ago I told you about my new Brother sewing machine. I just noticed something wonderful about it. I can't believe I didn't see this before. It has a needle threader which I haven't been able to figure out so I've continued to fuss and thread it like I've always done (with the index card or scrap of paper behind the needle).

I just noticed this morning that there is a little white area just above the presser foot which lines up with the needle when it's in the highest position for threading. This is another reason for an old person who doesn't see too well to buy Brother.

By Marty Dick from Knoxville, TN

My Singer has the same feature. I love it!

I have the needle threader too. You have to make sure the needle is at the highest point. Then wrap the thread around the arm and when it touches the needle there is a nearly invisible hook that comes through the needle eye. Hook the thread from bottom up on it.

You kind of have to do this on faith! Then gently let go of the arm. The thread is pulled a tiny bit through the needle eye. If you use both first fingers and pinch behind the needle and towards the rear of the machine you will catch the thread with your fingers and pull it through enough to then grab with one hand.

I was in Kmart and noticed a line. I asked and they were demonstrating a Nechi Sewing Machine at a low price. I watched the demo and ended up buying the machine, but did spend more with all the extras. It has a needle feeder that I love as well. I had purchased a Singer because I was told and shown how it sews thru thickness. I was unhappy because it skipped when the fabric went from thin to thick. The Nechi went thru the different thicknesses like butter. I just love it. The Nechi is mechanical, I was told it was made for a high school sew class and had to be heavy duty. It definitely is. We used it to sewing thru sunbrella outdoor fabric for a sun shade. It's a tank. Love it.

I had to chuckle when you mentioned the 3x5 card behind needles, but what we did then, most of us can't do now.

I have recently purchased my embroidery machine which makes 4 total. It amazes me how many things are not explained when buying. I've been really lucky with my Elna/Brother/Janome/auto embroidery.