CoolingHome Improvement

Use Window Fans Before Air Conditioning

Our second floor bedroom gets very hot in the summer. I found a twin window fan at Goodwill for $3.50. Despite the fact that it has been over 90 degrees for several days, the room has been comfortable, and sometimes too cold for my always-too-warm husband! The fan has already paid for itself, and we are hoping to use the air conditioning minimally, if at all.

Generally, a specific room or rooms in a house can be cooled more than others by using a medium-duty box fan (20" sq, more or less) to blow air out of the house through a different window. Open windows in the selected room(s); fan will then cause breeze to enter that room. Windows not used by the fan should remain closed to enhance fan performance. Experiment with the system to get best performance. At one time I used a through-window A/C unit. Was way bad, especially leaking air in the winter. I removed it and am much happier now.

I know how good they can be! Usta use in my house afore had to move, an' now my window fan is lost in storage somewhere (boohoo!). Gonna try to get another one or two soon, cuz temps are rising again (wonder why? oh, yeh, summer comes ever'year!). I don't have air conditioning of any kind, other than open the windows -an' that only helps when the wind blows.