Use a Balloon to Make an Easter Basket

Years ago I made Easter baskets using crochet thread and sugar water. I have read the 'instructions' found on ThriftyFun, but cannot find the type/size of crochet thread to use. I have not been successful with a size 10 thread, but it is very tight. It will get stiff, but will not stick to the other threads, therefore you end up with a pile of stiff thread on the table when you pop the balloon. Help!

By Joyce from Oroville, CA

Best Answer

You wrap it around Balloon Then cover several times in Sugar water. Or put it in a big bucket and soak it in Sugar water. Let Harden for several days until dry.

Best Answer

I used embroidery floss to make mine. Cotton twine also works. I believe I used watered down Elmer's glue instead of sugar water or starch. Mine were about the same size that you would fill a water balloon.
Sandy

I made these years ago also & just searched for the directions but apparently don't have them any longer. Sorry! Don't remember the size thread I used but I never used the sugar & water but used liquid starch & it worked well.

I didn't dilute it. Maybe you could give that a try. They are so cute & everyone loved them. Good luck!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlXzaOEe_2I
Cut and paste this address to your browser. This video on youtube should help you create beautiful crochet easter egg baskets. It is step by step.

Crafts EasterFebruary 9, 2011
💘
🍀