Uses for Berry Baskets

Category Reusing
Whether for crafts or around the house these containers can be useful. This guide contains uses for berry baskets.

I have always hated after opening the cellophane package of cheese slices that they spread out in the fridge. I found the ideal holder for these slices just today! Having bought a flat of strawberries at a farm, I kept the plastic baskets that they were in. I have them in various places around my kitchen. I remembered having the baskets when I was cleaning out the fridge and popped the slices into one of the baskets. Viola! It fits neatly in the cold cut drawer in the fridge and I am one happy cook!

FYI - These baskets also make great organizers for Kool-Aid and hot chocolate envelopes. I also have a couple in my "catchall" kitchen drawer which are holding my tiny bag clips and another one to corral the "corn on the cob" tips. Surely beats looking through the entire drawer for these things.

By Southeastgeorgiapeach from Jesup, GA

Berry Basket Gift Basket

Berry Basket Gift Basket

A great way to recycle plastic berry baskets is to transform them into festive containers for treats. Look for the baskets in a variety of bright colors at supermarkets. Fill with dad's favorite treats for a "sweet" Father's Day gift.

Approximate Time: 30 minutes

Instructions:

Weave narrow ribbon through the slats of the basket. Use craft glue to secure the ends. Twist end of chenille stem around opposite sides of basket to create a handle. Place a coffee filter inside the basket and fill with cookies, candy, snack mix, etc.

By Mom of 1 from Wilkesboro, NC

Berry Basket Frame

Berry Basket Frame

For a unique Father's Day gift, use the bottom of a berry basket to create a one-of-a-kind frame for dad on his special day.

Approximate Time: 20 minutes

Instructions:

Cut off the bottom of a clean plastic berry basket. Cut out the center of the bottom, leaving a border. This will be your frame. Lay your photograph underneath the frame so that it is centered in the frame opening. Trace around the inside portion of the frame and cut out your photograph. Trace the outside edge of the frame onto a sheet of craft foam. Cut it out so that it's slightly smaller than the frame. Glue the photo to the back of the frame, then glue the frame to the craft foam. To make a stand, cut out a triangle from thin cardboard (see photo below). Fold two sides forward, as shown. Glue the middle section of the triangle to the back of the frame.

By Mom of 1 from Wilkesboro, NC

BerryFrameBack.jpg

DH and I buy a lot of berries in those little basket thingies with holes in them. Does anyone have an idea about what to do with them when they are empty? Thanks.

By Marty from Houston, TX

Answers

Best Answer

When my children were younger I used them to make Easter Baskets for the kids at school. Using construction paper to make the handles. Just staple them into the basket. Or use ribbon which is more sturdy also just stapled. Put in a little bit of Easter grass or shredded colored paper towels. Then put a few Easter candies in the basket. You have a nice inexpensive treat for the children in school or Sunday school or day care.

Best Answer

I use them as mini-colanders for anything small that needs to drain: baby bottle nipples, small caps, bits of wool or yarn I've dyed, etc.

Does anyone have any ideas what to do with those plastic containers that strawberries come in?

Gardener50

Answers:

Strawberry Baskets and Containers

I have 4 or 5 of these baskets turned upside down on the edge of my cabinet and resting against my refrigerator. I put my small paring knives, my ice pick, etc. in the little slots, blade down, to keep them handy to use. However, I have a number of these little baskets and would appreciate more info on what others do with them.

I am thinking of putting sphagnum moss in them and planting things that will grow in damp moss, but am thinking that would require too much daily care. You can thread brightly colored ribbon (gold is especially nice) thru them and make a pretty woven basket for lipsticks, etc. on the dresser or stick candy or mints elsewhere in the house.

Jacqueline, Chula Vista, CA (05/17/2002)

By Jcasey731

Strawberry Baskets and Containers

I place peanuts in them and nail to a tree for the birds.

Katy in NC (05/17/2002)

By kbuffingto

Strawberry Baskets and Containers

When my children were younger I used them to make Easter baskets for the kids at school. Using construction paper to make the handles. Just staple them into the basket. Or use ribbon which is more sturdy also just stapled. Put in a little bit of Easter grass or shredded colored paper towels. Then put a few Easter candies in the basket. You have a nice inexpensive treat for the children in school or Sunday school or day care. (05/19/2002)

By hmb999

Strawberry Baskets and Containers

I use my baskets to hold floppy disks. I also cut up scratch paper and place in the basket. Convenient to keep by the phone or the computer. (05/20/2002)

By mejallen

Strawberry Baskets and Containers

We do our dishes the old fashioned way. Wash by hand and put in a drainer in the other sink. In one corner we have one of these baskets. We put tops from little casseroles, jar lids, mug lids, etc. in it because otherwise they fall through the wires. We also use them in the fridge for grapes tomatoes, etc. that we don't want to put in bags because they spoil faster. Have also used them in drawers. Now I will use one in my craft work (thanks Jacqueline) little brushes and tools will stand up in them just fine.

Linne (05/20/2002)

By admin

Strawberry Baskets and Containers

I use both the clear plastic and the green plastic mesh ones to cover small seedlings so the cats won't dig them up or sleep on them.

Amie (05/22/2002)

By admin

Strawberry Baskets and Containers

My sister made cute little puffy baskets out of them by covering the inside with cloth, and the outside with polyester-stuffed material, and a handle of the same material, with a stiff backing. (08/23/2005)

By LizCar

Strawberry Baskets and Containers

I use them as small gift baskets. I clean them out, and remove any stickers then line the inside with colorful tissue paper, and run ribbon through the side slats in the top meeting in the front and tie a pretty bow. It's such a sweet way to wrap a gift. (06/15/2007)

By Karina

Strawberry Baskets and Containers

I'm going to papier mache balloons (decorate as strawberries-like her bedding) and attach baskets to look like hot air balloons. They are going to hang from fishing line in the ceiling of my granddaughter's nursery. I am painting the green baskets with Fusion paint to give a variety of color. Babies look up a lot. Grandma will make it with love! I hope our new Mackenzie loves them. (03/15/2008)

By Laurie in CA

Strawberry Baskets and Containers

If you have a garden, when you plant your seeds put the baskets over the seeds. It helps keep the birds and such from eating the seeds. (03/25/2008)