Uses for Bread Bags

Category Reusing
So much of our food comes in plastic bags. Reusing them helps cut down on waste in our landfills. This is a guide about uses for bread bags.

I have come over time to use more and more the bread bags that come into my home. They are very versatile and very freezer friendly.

When I purchase bulk meats, I use bread bags to separate it into serving sizes before freezing, pierogies too. I will put a meal size amount into the bag, tie a knot, then put in the next serving. If its a tender cut or freezer sensitive I will double-bag the package. When I need a section, I cut out the portion needed under the knot, leaving the next section still sealed closed.

The bags work with most everything even liquids. I have only had to buy freezer baggies once last year and I still haven't used them all, plus I don't feel like I am throwing my money away when I need to throw out a bag. Look around at the other bags that come into your house and I am sure they can all be put to another use.

I save all the bags from loaves of bread because they can be used in so many ways. Any chicken bones we have go into a bread bag that I toss into the freezer until I'm ready to pressure cook them for our dog. Then, I know if I see a bread bag, it's bones. I also use bread bags when I patty meat for burgers. I slip one on each hand. It never fails, I need to add seasoning or grab something while I'm working on the meat. With the bags, I can easily slip my hand in and out as I need to. Bread bags also make great on-the-go dirty diaper keepers. I keep one or two in my bag, deposit the diaper, and because it is a long bag, it can be easily and tightly knotted.

By Kelli from Sentani, Indonesia

Being a farmer and rancher's wife, we are always looking for ways to save. In the summer months, the men are in the fields a lot, and take their lunch. They use so much bread that I save the bread bags, cut them off a little and use for bags for their lunch items to go in.

Judy Y. from Jonesboro, TX

I use an empty Kleenex box, stand it up on end next to the inside wall of a cupboard, and put all my bread bags, bun bags, etc. that I want to save in it. I reuse them when I make bread or bake buns. The plastic that is around hole of the Kleenex box helps hold them all in.

By Grammy Duck from Upnorth, Minnesota

Never toss those bags when you've finished a loaf of bread. They are great for storing home baked goods either to freeze or store in your cupboard - saves on using and washing your plastic containers - less time spent and water used.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

Use a clean empty bread bag to store paper towels in your car. The towels stay clean and can't unroll.

If you have a pup to clean up after when you go for your walks, save those bread bags to use for that chore. They are free, thick, nice and long, and kind of like a "glove" and they work great!

I save my empty bread wrappers/bags. They are air tight and very useful. I wrap cheeses, sandwiches, and lunchmeat, with what would usually be thrown out. I start with one bag and stuff the other empty bags inside of the one "first" bag.

This is not destined to save gobs of money, but every saving money tip helps. I have a big family and a husband who requires sandwiches every day for work, therefore we go through bread bags FAST!

Ideas for reusing bread bags. Post your ideas below.

Answers

I reuse bread bags for scooping cat litter. Just tie the end in a knot and toss into trash can - no smell!

By Diana

I knew a woman years ago who would cut them into strips and then crochet the strips into scatter rugs for the kitchen or laundry room.

"shake-n-bake" bags, freezer bags for meat, storage bag for homemade baked goods, dirty diaper disposal bags, storage for grocery bags, trash bag for car travel, cast cover for showering, cover feet before putting on boots that aren't waterproof... I never seem to run out of uses!

Make 2 baggies for cat poop out of one bread sack: Tie off the bread sack tightly with the twist tie about half way down so that the two halves are almost even, the closed end being a little bit longer. Cut the bread sack on the closed end near the twist tie. There should be just enough room to store the poop and tie it in a knot just before tossing it.

Bread bags also work great for little kids in their winter boots. Just slip over their socks (or shoes if they have overshoes) and boots slip off and on quite easily.

Rip a bread sack down one side, leaving the bottom intact. Cup the end around a bowl, wrap the rest across the top of the bowl, and tuck the end under when placing it in the refrigerator. It works quite well.

Aunt Sharon from Texas

How about a lunch bag? A bag to pick berries?
Bring seashells home from the seashore?
A place to put wet swimming trunks
How about a place for dirty underswears and socks in your suitcase
In your car A place to put those used oil bottles that are scattered all over your trunk.

i make a fresh loaf of bread and use the bread bag as a container.

Cover small plants from frost
Wet seed trays put bread bag around them set where sunlight is available. Your seeds will come up quicker.
use bread bags as gloves to pick up stuff like dead birds that hit you find on your property and put them in another bread bag or you can just pick up Doggie dew with a new bag every time

When I was younger, I would cut bottom out of bread bag, and in bad winters, cover my legs with them. (use loose rubber bands to hold up.) (you can cover them with leg warmers. And I also used alot of bread bags in my younger days in my diaper bags, for dirty diapers, soiled clothes, or shoes. Now that I'm older I use them for freezer jobs, I freeze bagels and muffins in them for quick breakfasts. And I have also used them for a "quicky" rubber glove. Many uses too numerous to tell all.....

I re-use bread bags to mix the dry ingredients for cookies or breading for meats. No bowls, No mess.

I use bread bags for "stinky' disposable diapers. I have a child care in my home and can't run out to the garbage can with each one so i drop the offensive diaper in a bread bag or grocery bag twist it a couple of times, wrap it back on itself and then tie and throw in the diaper pail with the wet ones.

If you use them for sandwich bags, always be sure the label with the ink, is on the outside of the package. I have heard that the ink could have some lead, which we know can be dangerous if ingested.

My Grandma used to make rugs out of Bread Sacks. She died when I was 12. I would really love to learn how to do this. She used a Wooden Crochet Needle. Does anyone know how to do this? Biker babe 1055 @aol.com Cram address all together. Thanks

I take the bread bags that I buy bread in and empty out all the crumbs and use them to pack my husband's sandwiches for work.

By Pam from Ohio

Answers:

Reuse Bread Bags For Lunches

Great re-use idea! My mom actually uses them for all kinds of food, but lunches is a great universal use! A++ (04/09/2007)

By Starchild in VT

Reuse Bread Bags For Lunches

Yes, that's a good idea to use for lunches. I don't know if the husband brings the bag home and it gets reused again, perhaps so....or he can just put all his lunch trash in it and dispose of that way.

I reuse bread and bun bags for various uses. One way I like to use is as a liner for my small homemade trash bin I keep near the sink. I cut an area out of an empty clean gal milk jug, leaving the handle and it makes a nice little garbage can. I wouldn't have to line it but that just keeps it cleaner.

I also use bread and bun bags as freezer bags. I might have the item to freeze first wrapped in plastic wrap or waxed paper and then set down in the bun bag and use a twist tie.

My mother in law used to save those bags and as she'd get one, she'd roll it around an empty paper towel tube and then put a couple rubberbands over to secure. When she'd need one, she'd just pull off the rubberband and grab one. They stayed organized and it didn't take up much room to store them. I seem to use mine as I have them empty so I don't usually store very many and just keep in my foil, food storage bag, etc drawer. (04/09/2007)

By Debbie52

Reuse Bread Bags For Lunches

I re-use bread bags to store loaves of my homemade bread. I also store extra 5-lb. bags of sugar and flour in them. They just fit. (04/10/2007)

By Jantoo