Uses for Loofah (Luffa)

The loofah is a dried plant "sponge" and can be used in many ways from personal hygiene and cleaning to craft projects. This is a guide about uses for loofah (luffa).

Instead of using a regular kitchen sponge, try using a loofah or bath scrub to wash your dishes. They dry much faster than a kitchen sponge and provide more lather. I assume the quicker drying time helps prevent bacterial buildup, as mine have never felt slimy like a kitchen sponge. Loofah's may also be microwaved while wet for approximately 2 minutes to kill germs. Please do not microwave the plastic scrubs! I've tried cloths, etc., but in my opinion nothing beats a loofah.

By Ivy from Rancho Plaos Verdes

I cut a slice from my new luffa sponge to use under my soaps to keep them dry and firm in my soap dishes.

cut luffa sponge and bar of soap

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 7

Loofas make great inexpensive, environmentally friendly and multipurpose scrubbers. You can buy or better yet grow grow your own, then cut into 1 inch thick circular slices. Use these for washing dishes, scouring sinks, and other cleaning needs in addition to using them in the shower/bath. Hopefully you are using nontoxic cleaning products in which case you can simply toss the loofa slices into the compost heap when they wear out.

By Tawnya from Alliance, OH

Rather then using antiquated steel wool pads that rust and stick your fingers, I cut a slice of a new luffa sponge to use for a pot scrubber! It works great and doesn't shred apart! Luffa is also anti bacterial. A simple solution!

I've discovered a wonderful way to clean your dishes, sink, pots and pans. It's a loofa! Also spelled loufa, loufah, etc. I grow my own, which is easy to do, but they can also be purchased on the internet, ebay and some "natural" stores. I find a piece about 5 inches long works great. After use just throw them into the dishwasher to have them cleaned and sterilized!

By Marilyn from Colfax, LA

I have never been satisfied with the various nylon soap pockets used for showering. So, a while back, I began to cut a three inch chunk off of a loofa, and then cut out the center part to leave just the outside ring of fiber. I do this using a serrated bread knife to really saw through the loofa, as it's pretty tough. Then, I water up the loofa a bit and massage it until it's somewhat pliant. Finally, I shove a bar of soap inside the center and, voila, I've got a loofa soap pocket.

The loofas really hold the suds well! These pockets usually survive two or three bars of soap before I have to toss it out, but as you can get two to three of these holders out of one loofa you buy, one loofa can last you up to a year or more! And if you wait for a 99c or $1.00 store somewhere to carry cheap loofas, you're talking really cheap!

It's good to keep them propped up well and have a chance to dry out a bit so they don't get moldy or anything yucky like that.

Enjoy!

How do you soften an old hard luffa sponge?

Answers

Loofas are vegetable matter that is dry and hard when wet. Your old and hard loofa may need to retire anyway as they retain bacteria after a few weeks use and then need to be replaced.