Uses for Loofah (Luffa)

Instead of using a regular kitchen sponge, try using a loofah or bath scrub to wash your dishes. They dry much faster than a kitchen sponge and provide more lather. I assume the quicker drying time helps prevent bacterial buildup, as mine have never felt slimy like a kitchen sponge. Loofah's may also be microwaved while wet for approximately 2 minutes to kill germs. Please do not microwave the plastic scrubs! I've tried cloths, etc., but in my opinion nothing beats a loofah.

By Ivy from Rancho Plaos Verdes

6 More Solutions

I cut a slice from my new luffa sponge to use under my soaps to keep them dry and firm in my soap dishes.

cut luffa sponge and bar of soap

Loofas make great inexpensive, environmentally friendly and multipurpose scrubbers. You can buy or better yet grow grow your own.

loofa sponges

Rather then using antiquated steel wool pads that rust and stick your fingers, I cut a slice of a new luffa sponge to use for a pot scrubber! It works great and doesn't shred apart! Luffa is also anti bacterial. A simple solution!

A slice of luffa as a pot scrubber

I've discovered a wonderful way to clean your dishes, sink, pots and pans. It's a loofa! Also spelled loufa, loufah, etc. I grow my own, which is easy to do, but they can also be purchased on the internet, ebay and some "natural" stores.

Loofah.

I have never been satisfied with the various nylon soap pockets used for showering. So, a while back, I began to cut a three inch chunk off of a loofa, and then cut out the center part to leave just the outside ring of fiber.

Loofa as a Soap Pocket

How do you soften an old hard luffa sponge?

Answers

Loofas are vegetable matter that is dry and hard when wet. Your old and hard loofa may need to retire anyway as they retain bacteria after a few weeks use and then need to be replaced.

Answer this Question
Consumer Advice General AdviceMarch 11, 2014
🎉
🎄
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Uses-for-Loofahs.html