Uses for Sandwich Baggies

Using sandwich bag as a glove on cereal treats.
Sandwich sized plastic bags can be put to other uses in your home. This is a guide about uses for sandwich baggies.

As I live alone and am on a restricted budget, I have to be frugal. Now when eating out I carry three different sized baggies to bring leftovers home in. I bring the bread, individual butters, honey, jellies, etc and any veggies or meat. If offered a to-go drink, I bring that too! You would be amazed how little things save on the grocery bill.

By Gee from AK

I use baggies for everything. When all my bills are paid I put all the invoices in a baggie and put the month/year on the outside. That way if I ever have to go back to find something it's easy. I used to use folders but when I would pick them up all the stuff would fall out.

By Pattie Ochoa from San Diego, CA

Less mess when using cooking shortening! Take one zip-top sandwich baggie and keep it in your large can of shortening. Whenever you need to grease a dish, slip your hand into the baggie and use it like a glove to smear the shortening. Then slip your clean, grease-free hand out!

It is also useful for "packing" the shortening into a measuring cup and even for getting it out of the measuring cup. Just swirl your bagged hand around the cup to collect the shortening and glop it into the mixing bowl.

Since you have only used it with clean dishes and measuring cups, you can re-use the baggie over and over. Be sure to keep the baggie in your shortening can at all times, ready for use. You will find yourself using fewer paper towels for greasing and dirtying fewer utensils when cooking with shortening, all with a clean hand!

Source: Heard this years ago on television, but can't remember the source. I have used it ever since!

By Shawna from Paris, TN

If you don't have your dish washing gloves, and want to keep your manicure nice, just grab a sandwich bag for a temporary solution. Put it over your hand, secure it around your wrist with a hair band, and there you have it!

On this same board, recently a lady posted, "Place the fried onions in a baggie and use a rolling pin to crumble them into fine crumbs (you can use a blender or food processor if you wish)". When needing cereal or cracker crumbs for toppings, using the baggie and rolling pin will be a lot faster and a much easier cleanup than using the blender or food processer. Always strive for a way to make your time spent in the kitchen a shorter experience. That'll leave more time to spend with your loved ones or for you can a long soak in the bubble bath, or curl up with a good book, etc.

By Terri from NV