Use Baggie as a Glove When Using Shortening

Less mess when using cooking shortening! Take one zip-top sandwich baggie and keep it in your large can of shortening. Whenever you need to grease a dish, slip your hand into the baggie and use it like a glove to smear the shortening. Then slip your clean, grease-free hand out!

It is also useful for "packing" the shortening into a measuring cup and even for getting it out of the measuring cup. Just swirl your bagged hand around the cup to collect the shortening and glop it into the mixing bowl.

Since you have only used it with clean dishes and measuring cups, you can re-use the baggie over and over. Be sure to keep the baggie in your shortening can at all times, ready for use. You will find yourself using fewer paper towels for greasing and dirtying fewer utensils when cooking with shortening, all with a clean hand!

Source: Heard this years ago on television, but can't remember the source. I have used it ever since!

By Shawna from Paris, TN

By Michele (Guest Post)

I've done this before as well except I never thought about leaving the baggie in the tub. I usually just toss mine and use another the next time.

YES! RE-USE THE BAGGIE! LESS WASTE! my mom taught me to use a paper cupcake cups and leave it in there.

works great. Either Paper or plastic: What's important is Less waste! With reuse there is less money spent. Live thrifty!