Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

Can applesauce by substituted for oil in all recipes?

By lkon

Best Answer

Maybe not all, but it works great in cakes and I have been meaning to try it in cornbread, but not done it. One of the best cakes I ever made was a cheap box of cake mix and cake frosting from a dollar store and I replaced the oil with applesauce and used egg white instead of whole eggs. It was incredibly moist. My picky mother claimed she could "taste" the applesauce, but I noticed no difference and the cake remained marvelously moist for days. Oh, also, I did use baby sauce applesauce which probably has less sugar and of course, is ultra-fine in consistency.

It can but I would just as soon not have a piece of cake made with it. I can taste the difference and I don't lik it.

Per piece, the oil and applesauce only have a few calories difference so why ruin the taste of the cake.

Anonymous

Well, if you're asking regarding baked goods I would think it would be okay for many, many recipes but I definitely wouldn't take the chance of ruining any general meal recipes by switching out the oil with applesauce which would certainly change the flavor outcome!

Keep in mind that substituting applesauce in baking also changes the way a recipe behaves structurally.

I've used applesauce in place of oil for years and never really noticed a difference in taste, but from now on, I plan to use melted butter instead of oil. The only oil I buy anymore is olive oil, and I doubt it would taste good in cakes.

Recently, I made a brownie mix using black beans. (Google black bean brownies.) It made a fudgie brownie, and my husband said they were the best brownies he'd ever had. Maybe someday I'll use black beans instead of oil or applesauce in chocolate cake.

I would substitute applesauce for half the oil.