Using Coffee Grounds on House Plants

Can I use coffee grounds on my house plants? I have a Christmas catus and a climbing plant that I am not sure what it is, other than it has large waxy leaves. I hate to throw them out and I can't compost them because I live in a apartment.

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

You can put a sprinkling of the grounds around your plants.

There are different opinions about using coffee grounds on house plants but most agree that using them outside (not heavy quantity in one place) is a good thing. Since you live in an apartment I see no reason why coffee grounds would be okay to use but do as Judy says and just sprinkle them on top of soil and not on the plants or the stems. Be sure to "sprinkle" as too much may become moldy.

Remember, coffee grounds added does not take the place of a regular schedule for fertilize.
Here is a quote from University of Florida Ag site:
A word of caution on using coffee grounds for houseplants: Moist grounds encourage fungus growth that can be detrimental to your plants. If you use them on houseplants, do so sparingly and avoid watering your plants unless the soil is dry to the touch.

Also, very weak black coffee/tea can be added (small quantities) to many plants as this seems to benefit my house plants more than coffee grounds.
This question has been asked on ThriftyFun before so here is a link that you might like to check out.

http://www.thri … 0819459.tip.html

My best advice is not to add too much to indoor plants because they will definitely get moldy. I found this out the hard way :) If you use it, dig it in deep. It will be great.

So many terrific answers and good advice! My two cents? If you're looking for (additional) natural fertilizer, visit a local greenhouse and ask about worm castings.