Using Coffee Grounds on House Plants

Can I use coffee grounds on my house plants? I have a Christmas catus and a climbing plant that I am not sure what it is, other than it has large waxy leaves. I hate to throw them out and I can't compost them because I live in a apartment.

You can put a sprinkling of the grounds around your plants.

There are different opinions about using coffee grounds on house plants but most agree that using them outside (not heavy quantity in one place) is a good thing. Since you live in an apartment I see no reason why coffee grounds would be okay to use but do as Judy says and just sprinkle them on top of soil and not on the plants or the stems. Be sure to "sprinkle" as too much may become moldy.
Remember, coffee grounds added does not take the place of a regular schedule for fertilize.
Here is a quote from University of Florida Ag site:

A word of caution on using coffee grounds for houseplants: Moist grounds encourage fungus growth that can be detrimental to your plants. If you use them on houseplants, do so sparingly and avoid watering your plants unless the soil is dry to the touch.

Also, very weak black coffee/tea can be added (small quantities) to many plants as this seems to benefit my house plants more than coffee grounds.
This question has been asked on ThriftyFun before so here is a link that you might like to check out.

www.thriftyfun.com/tf30819459.tip.html

My best advice is not to add too much to indoor plants because they will definitely get moldy. I found this out the hard way :) If you use it, dig it in deep. It will be great.

So many terrific answers and good advice! My two cents?

If you're looking for (additional) natural fertilizer, visit a local greenhouse and ask about worm castings.

Coffee ground is coffee beans (seeds) that have been roasted, not roasted to the point of turning into coal but still roasted enough to resist decomposing just like wood coal doesn't decompose. It is better to leave it on the ground when used with plants. It does get molded but if you scratch the coffee ground to air it the mold goes and coffee ground is untouched, just like coal, it doesn't mold. And that is the big problem. I experienced putting a lot of coffee ground in the soil of an indoor plant. I saw the plant decline after a few months and decided to quickly changed the soil. The coffee ground was there, it had not mixed with soil and had not decomposed at all. So as the plant can only benefit of the azote, phosphore and potassium once coffee ground has decomposed and these elements have gone into water to be absorbed by the plant the benefit is not big but the risk to damage the plant roots by roting them is important.

The coffee ground and the water around it really stank as sewer water. This is what I am doing since I had this bad experience : I put coffee ground around the foot of the plants in the garden to protect the plants from insects and snails. To use the azote, phosphore and potassium for my indoor plants I put the coffee ground in a bottle of water once it reaches the bottom of the bottle I water my plants with the water only and not with the coffee ground. When it doesn't colorate the water anymore I throw the coffee ground away and I put new one in. I only do it once a month and I only water the plant that are not cultivated for their flowers as main interest because is azote is the main element of coffee ground and azote is more useful to plants cultivated for the beauty of their leaves. You do not have this kind of problem with tea leaves because tea leaves have been dried only. They decompose quickly and give good results as well.