PaintingHome Improvement

Using Kilz Oil Base Paint on Dry Wall

Category Painting

I have 2 gallons of Kilz oil base primer. I would like to use them on some new dry wall and joint compound. There is nothing on the can that says I could use them for that kind of job. Is there any reason I can't use them. Thank you.

By Tony

Call Kilz and ask them. I'm sure they have a toll-free number.

Why do you want to paint your wall with oil paint? That's what you use on doors & wall trim. I believe it would make your wall too shiny and you would be condemming the wall to be painted with oil paint every time, you can't paint latex paint over it.

Latex Kiltz is a great product and you can use it to prime your walls. If you have a wall that hasn't been painted for a long time and has stains on the paint - again - prime the wall with it first and then put the finishing coat on you'll be glad you did.

+
Hint: If you are going to paint a color have the paint shop tint the Kiltz to match the color you want to put on the wall. By doing this it will save you time and money and you might not have to put a 2nd top coat on.

I'd call the company also. I believe their oil-based primer can be painted over with either oil or latex paint.

I would not use the Kilz. I have found it is difficult to hide the Kilz white color. The white kept bleeding though my top coat. I would use a water based primer for dry wall. Why don't you put some Kilz on a piece of dry wall then use a top coat and see what happens.

You can buy a 2 foot square of dry wall at Home Depot for a couple of bucks. Hate to see you use the Kilz on your entire project and not be happy about the results.