Using Morel Mushrooms

This is a page about using morel mushrooms. A wild mushroom that you can find for free. They are delicious in a variety of recipes.

When frying those delicious morel mushrooms, instead of dipping in egg, I dipped them in condensed cream of mushroom soup and coat them very well before I place them in my flour or cracker crumbs. Then I fry them in butter. Egg tends to slip off, whereas the mushroom soup clings perfectly. I do not add water to the soup, but if it's too thick to work with, just slightly add water and stir - make sure you keep the thickness. It is sooo good. I will never go back to egg!

By Patty from Illinois

The buttery rich flavor is unbeatable and they are free!

Directions:

First of all make very sure you know what you are picking or have someone pick them that does know what Morel mushrooms are. Then wash and wash and wash them. There will most likely be sand or dirt in them.

Slice them in half lengthwise, blot dry and put in skillet with melted butter. Add garlic and seasonings. They will shrink quickly and start to weep liquid almost immediately. After a couple of minutes drain off most of the liquid and add the wine. Simmer until tender, won't take but around 5 minutes or so.

If you haven't tried them you are really missing a wonderful treat. This recipe could serve 3 or 4 but can easily be eaten by my husband and myself.

Servings: 2
Time:5 minutes Minutes Preparation Time
8 minutes Minutes Cooking Time

By Ann Winberg from Loup City,NE

What are hickory chickens? Does anybody know?

Answers

They are morel mushrooms. Look for 3 varieties throughout Appalachia: morchella esculenta, which can be found under old apple or pear trees when the oak leaves are about mouse-ear size; morchella angusticeps (fat morel), which can be found under oak, beech or maple forests, when the serviceberry is in bloom; and morchella crassipes, found on swampy ground near jewelweed.

Hickory chickens are a morel mushroom. I found this out on a site about Appalachia.

The answers are absolutely correct. I now remember being told about Hickory Chickens many years ago. An older couple from Appalachia told me about them. I had forgotten all they told me except the name. Now, I recall the lady telling me how delicious they were when battered and fried.They both agreed they tasted like chicken.

I'm in the Piedmont near Appalachia. I'm going to check with my ag agent and see if he knows whether Hickory Chickens grow near me.

Thanks

It is a kind of morel mushroom, we have them here some years. They come out in the spring, when it gets really warm after a rain.

The reason for that nick name is, they are often found growing around hickory trees and when battered and fried they are said to taste like chicken.

Answer this Question

Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceSeptember 14, 2016
🌻
🐛
😷
📓
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Using-Morel-Mushrooms.html