Using Paint to Make a Room Appear Larger

Category Painting
The illusion of more space can be created by the way you use wall color. This is a guide about using paint to make a room appear larger.

I have a really small room, about 2 x 2.5 meters (American's think yards), and I have a bed and a desk in it. I also have one really small window and in a few weeks I am going to get a big closet. And I have green carpet, so i was wondering should i paint my walls to light blue and paint my closet to dark blue (my favorite colors)? Is my room going to be too colorful, you know too many different colors? And is it going to make it look bigger?

Help please,

Answers

By Rich in KS (Guest Post)

I don't know much about the color scheme, but I can tell you that if you add a big mirror on one (or more!) of your walls, it can really make your room look bigger. Good luck!

thanx..i'll try...

By Erricka (Guest Post)

If you paint with light colors your room will seem bigger than it is like light blue instead of dark blue. Its the same as if you have a really big room and not much to fill it and you want it to look smaller you would paint it a dark color.

And the idea about mirror(s) on the wall(s) is a great idea and it will definately make the room seem larger.

By mememe (Guest Post)

guys, black and white are really good colours for small rooms, and althouhgh you may think black will darken the room, it is a very sophisicated colour. just dont go ott!

By alexis (Guest Post)

I live in a small efficiency apt, it's just one room and I put LARGE mirrors up all around. I got mine from people who were remodeling their bathroom and had the left over vanity mirror. They helped open up the room a lot.

What color should I paint a parents' bedroom and 2 separate girls' bedrooms this spring? I don't want white or any dark colors. I am looking for something attractive to make the rooms look bigger; they are medium size. Thanks!

By Trudy

Answers

Choose from your favorite light pastel colors for any room if you want it to look larger. I think I would choose a color that will look nice with the wood furnishings or curtains/drapes if you aren't replacing.
If the rooms have few windows; go the lightest color on the paint charts at any paint store.

Yellow is the most enlarging color and is so spring like. Use yellow, not gold. You can see the difference if you hold paint chips side by side. Gold makes rooms look smaller and darker.

Surely the girls have favorite colors. Take them to the paint store with you or bring home paint chips for them to chose from.

Since kids change their minds frequently don't use very dark colors that will be hard to paint over in a few years.