Using Reusable Shopping Bags

Category Reusing
These sturdy bags can be used for a variety of things besides hauling groceries. This guide is about using reusable shopping bags.

This week, at a garage sale, I paid $1 for a large, sturdy beach bag, which I took home, laundered, and dried, in the sun. Now, it holds all my other re-usable shopping bags, and it, itself, is the largest, sturdiest shopping bag of all. Next time I'm at my local thrift store, I'll look for more bags that can be used as shopping carry-alls.

Now in California, they have banned plastic bags. If you would like to purchase a plastic bag, it'll be 10 cents, or you bring your own bag. Instead of bringing a bunch of bags, I sometimes bring this durable bag from Ikea that I bought for a buck!

It is perfect to put everything in and it saves trips back and forth to your car! But most importantly, when I am going somewhere by myself like the Post Office to mail some boxes.I cannot possibly carry the boxes all by myself But, with this huge bag, I can and have my hands free too! There are straps where I could wear this bag on my shoulder!

Another idea, using this bag to bring to the laundromat! Not only is this bag durable and practical for many uses, it is very easy to clean and this bag folds flat.

This is a health tip for those who live frugally or green. Make sure you wash your cloth grocery bags on a regular basis, in warm water with detergent. Rinse well, squeeze out the excess water, and hang to drip dry.

Meats often leak juices onto the bags, and produce sometimes carries pests or bacteria from the soil. Often times those can spread to the items which are placed into the bag on your next grocery trip. So, wash them often.

Also, ask the sacker to place your meat in a plastic bag prior to putting it into the recyclable cloth bag. That helps cut down on soilage and bacteria.

By mom-from-missouri from NW, MO

I received some pretty big reusable bags, but found when filled with groceries, they were too heavy to lift and carry to put in my car. They're very sturdy though, so I didn't want to get rid of them. Now I keep one in my kitchen, next to my trash can, and put recyclables in it. When the bag gets full, I put the contents outside in my recycle cart.

I put another large reusable bag on my pantry door to hold aluminum cans. When full, I take them to my church where the Scouts convert the cans to cash and buy Bibles to distribute. A win/win for people and the environment!

By caseye from Plano, TX

This is a guide about remembering your reusable shopping bags. Finding yourself inside the store at the checkout counter before you realize you have forgotten your shopping bags in the car, can be frustrating.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes