Using Soaps and Detergents for Insect Control on Plants

Category Insects
Keeping insects from consuming your plants can sometimes be a challenge. This guide is about using soaps and detergents for insect control on plants.

I have heard that "soapy water" baths are good for plants in order to avoid insects or plant plagues. Is there any truth to this? If not, what can I do when their leaves seem to have been eaten by an insect?

Hardiness Zone: 1

By marylin from San Diego, CA

Answers

I've only used soapy water to go after aphids, then I rinse it off.
You need to be careful with soap and water sprays, you can damage your leaves. This stuff is a contact spray for aphids with no residual effects. It clogs the aphids so they can't breathe. A heavy concentration can do that to your leaves. Rinse it off when you are done. I find a teaspoon of Ivory Liquid to a quart of water is adequate.

Don't use antibacterial soaps.

To get whatever is eating your plants. Identify the bug then use an appropriate treatment. You can find all sorts of organic methods on line.