CompostingGardening

Using Spanish Moss in a Worm Bin

We live in Florida with many southern oaks and they have Spanish moss hanging from them. Can it be used for our worm container?

You can use peat moss in a worm container and if peat moss is fine I do not see a problem to use the Spanish Moss in the container.

You can. I would not use it exclusively.

It would work better if you could mix your moss with-aged compost,aged cow or horse manure,if not available peat moss and Spanish moss makes a great bed for worms!

I also live in Florida and have found that Spanish moss can be used in worm containers and also as mulch but it is most popular in craft projects.

I have found that it takes longer for Spanish moss to break down than peat and regular compost. I believe this is due to the thin black 'sting' inside the moss (you can scrape the outer coating and see this string).
If using very much I would suggest taking heavy scissors and cut your moss into smaller pieces so it does not make a string layer in your worm bed.

My daughter has a worm bed made after the directions on this site.
You might find it useful.

www.lcweekly.com/.../1733-the-wonderful-world-of-worms

www.diynatural.com/.../

Problem with handling Spanish moss:
Chiggers are a major problem if the Spanish Moss has been lying on the ground. I have never found Chiggers in my moss and I use it for mulch so not sure where the chiggers come from (they are not in hanging moss).

Spanish moss does not kill a tree or bush but it stops air and sunlight from getting to limbs and leaves so in actuality, it does kill the tree/bush (unless you thin it out and let light reach the leaves).

Use it as an addition to the other composting materials you use.

Home and Garden Gardening CompostingOctober 9, 2019
🎃