Using Turmeric

In addition to its long term use as a dye for clothing and foods, such as mustard, turmeric is used by many people for its health benefits. This guide contains tips for using turmeric.

This is my morning turmeric shot I have every morning. I make little batch and store in the fridge. This lasts 1 week for 2 people. Turmeric is full of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. It has been used for thousands of years - even as medicine.

My personal preference I use a straw to drink my "shot" to prevent yellowing of my teeth and then I rinse with water afterwards. But you can pour your turmeric drink into a shot glass too if you'd like.

Total Time: 5 minutes

Yield: 2 people for 1 week

• 3 tsp turmeric powder
  • 3 tsp honey
  • 4 Tbsp room temperature water
  • 1 Tbsp hot water
  • 1 lemon wedge

1. In a measuring cup or bowl, pour in turmeric powder.
  2. Add room temperature water and gently stir.
  3. Then add hot water and stir so that all the clumps are gone.
  4. Pour in honey and stir.
  5. Squeeze in a lemon wedge and give your drink a final stir.

The reason mustard stains are so hard to get out is that there is turmeric in them! It is a spice, but it can also be used as a cheap and simple dye. If you like the golden yellow orange of the spice (or see the result of over dyeing another color), this might work for you.

I have some pink fluffy slippers from last winter which had gotten very dirty. So I washed them and it occurred to me that I would prefer them a turmeric color to pink. So I threw some turmeric powder into the soapy water and made sure the slippers were evenly colored and rinsed until the water was clean of spice and soap.

They are now out drying in the sun and are a very pretty color, if I do say so myself! I have done this in the past for cotton/lycra workout wear, too. One bottle of turmeric will last you a very long time!

By Pamela Ruth M. from L.A., CA

Turmeric has many health uses. It has been used like an antibiotic for thousands of years. I add oil, such as coconut oil, and a dash of black pepper to enhance the absorption of the turmeric benefits.

I also add a dash of turmeric in my white rice to make it look like yellow rice.

How much turmeric is safe to ingest? Are there side effects or adverse possibilities with an excessive intake of turmeric?

Answers

I do not believe anyone on here can safely give you advice about taking something like this.

There is a lot of information on the Internet about taking turmeric but you should always use caution and maybe discuss it with your doctor.

Personally, Mamaluce, I'd talk to a Chinese Medical Doctor or certified herbologist. Western medical practioners look down their noses at anything they haven't prescribed. That said, they're both very probably biased.

I take ~1 tablespoon @ week mixed with vegetable juice: it's terrific for combatting heartburn.

My endocrinologist is from India and she told me they use it as an antiseptic as well as eating it every day. I take a 500mg capsule daily and my doctor says it won't interact with any of my other meds, and it is safe for me to take. I recommend that you ask your doctor if it will interact with any of your meds. If not, the 500mg is a standard dose and is probably safe. I haven't had a gout flare since I started taking it in November. I used to have a flare every month.

Turmeric is highly recommended by many nutritionists to benefit heart and brain health as well as reducing inflamation. This delicious juice combines turmuric with carrots, apples and pineapple for a sweet start to the day.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes