Vintage FurnitureFurniture

Value of Mersman Nesting Tables

I have a pair of wood Mersman nesting tables. I'm considering selling them, but am unsure of a price to ask.

I would charge $75-$85 for the pair.

Do you know if there is a third table to finish the nest? I am not used to seeing two table nests, they are usually in 3s; but I fully admit I have not seen every Mersman combo out there (they literally made millions of pieces from the late 1800s to 1983). The link below shows the combo I am familiar with.

www.worthpoint.com/.../mersman-solid-hardwood-nesting-tables...

This trio is in nice shape and sold in 2011, but the value isn't available.

Ok, that said, I find no comparable items on eBay at the moment to give you today's market value in the world. Check back to eBay frequently to look at the sold auctions to see what people are paying for these to determine current market value.

Which is the ideal way to establish a selling price.

If you want a down and dirty number with no official comps from online sales, just from knowing a little about these pieces, condition is everything and yours are well loved, which takes away from the value.

If there are a lot of these in your area and the demand is low, it also lowers the value. For example, there are a lot of these around me, and I have seen one set of 3 unsold, week after week at a local flea market priced at 25.00.

If they were mine, I would start them at $20 each and take best offer. If you live in an area where there are few of these and high demand, you may get $30, but I would take best offer.

Good luck!!

If you want to price to get out of your house right away, then no more than $30 per. IF you want to wait for 'the perfect future owner' and can afford to wait, you should probalby polish them a bit and spruce them up and you could probably get $80 each for them.

THey are nice pieces and people do value them

I agree that nesting tables are usually in 3 or even more but that does not mean a 2 set would not be of value.

• The biggest problem I can see is the overall condition as I believe everyone has been being "nice" about it but if the tables are in the condition your pictures show then I believe you would have trouble getting $20 a set and I do not believe anyone would be willing to pay additional postage to have them shipped.
  • It is possible that you could use something to clean them up - maybe even something like Old English but then the scratches would still be there. As I said, I am only going by what they look like in your pictures.
  • Ad

• If you try to sell them at a flea market or even a yard sale, someone may pay you a little more if they can see some potential in cleaning them up.
  • Nesting tables are more popular than some of the more plentiful ordinary tables but I have not seen any tables listed that did not look in fair to excellent condition and most tables that are selling are not Mersman.
  • Here is a listing for a really nice 3 piece set so you can see what tables should look like but these have not sold and they will not be shipped as they are listed as "pick up only" - wherever the seller lives.
  • www.ebay.com/.../163208425969?hash=item25fffaf1f1...
  • You should work on your tables to improve their value and then search eBay for nested/nesting tables and maybe try listing yours on a local site like Craigslist.