Value of Vintage Dixie Furniture

Dixie Furniture (Lexington, NC) started manufacturing near the turn of the century but started mass production in the 40s. They were very popular in the 50s and 60s. Depending on the condition, many vintage pieces have resale value.

I recently bought a pair of matching faux bamboo 3 drawer dressers at a yard sale. I've found the maker and I've also located some letters and numbers on the back, however I can't find this particular chest on any site. I was wondering if anyone knew the value. I don't know what year they were made, but I'm sure the numbers on the back state all of that however I still can't figure it out.

Answers

Best Answer

Thanks for sharing your piece. I think someone cut off the legs/feet as I believe this may have been a high boy in a previous life. If it was original, the high boys are selling, not asking prices, but actual sold prices from 300-500 dollars in many settings and cities and sale venues!!

This piece was most likely made between the late 1940s-early 1960s. I am not familiar with how their numbers work.

If you are selling this, it is best to have a vintage dealer look at it in person (examine the bottom) and verify if indeed I was altered. If so, the can tell you how that change alters the value.

Please post back with what you learn! This is considered an MCM...mid century modern piece which is still a hot market item. It seemed like it was fading, but I have been seeing a lot of sales lately, so it is still hanging in for trends!

Best Answer

I believe you have 2 matching chests as a dresser would be longer than your pieces.
The Dixie Furniture Factories were in Lexington, NC from 1901 but closed all but one plant in 2003. It is difficult to find current information so I'm not sure the plant is still in operation.

Dixie furniture can be quite expensive as the older pieces were well made and still remain of higher value than many popular brands (such as
Chest of drawers are still popular pieces as they are functional and will still 'fit' in small modern apartments.

The company made furniture in what they called 'series' and each series was produced in a different plant but I could not find any sites with dates of any kind. Your furniture is from the Tahiti series but it seems to be rare as I found very few pieces from this series.

You can look at some of the pieces on this site to get an idea of the prices stores are asking for their Dixie pieces.

highlycollectibleantiques.com/.../

Since there is very little information available on these pieces you may want to ask your question at one of the antique forums or you can ask for a free appraisal fro one of the sites listed below.

You will need a good full front photo as wells as sides and full back. Also photos of inside drawers if asking for an appraisal.

Ask your question on these sites (read some past questions first so you can get an idea of what to post).

www.myantiquefurniturecollection.../.../ask.html

www.collectorsweekly.com/.../178882-dixie-furniture

Here is the free appraisal site:

www.whatsellsbest.com/.../antiques.html

I inherited these dressers and was wondering what they would be worth? They are stamped with the word Dixie on the back of both of them.

Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

Hi and thanks for sharing! Do you know if these are the original handles and that this is the original color? I ask because the pulls look more like what came on the brown furniture than the white.

Typically the white (more cream actually) French Providential style of this brand had very ornate handles that looked like wrought iron. Those handles were very important to that look and it what buyers want.

If the piece was painted or these are not the original handles it may devalue the piece--as people are willing to pay more for all original and in great shape.

If yours were the brown pieces which had these type handles, the dresser and high boy together would be worth almost $400 in original condition.*

If yours were original white color, with the correct handles, they would be worth slightly less--probably in the $300 range together.*

*this is if you are in one of the parts of the country where this style is still very popular--like the east coast of the US.

In other parts of the country, these are not as popular and may fetch less.

Also condition is everything and yours look like they may have some light wear, which will also lower the value.

If you are going to sell, best talk to a reputable furniture resale shop in your town to find out what would be a realistic value where you live! Thanks for sharing!

Best Answer

Thanks for posting back! That is good that everything is original. I previously haven't seen every piece this brand made so I had to ask. It is good news that it is the original paint and handles! That will help you with the value. I hope you are able to fetch $300-400. Post back with updates when you sell!!

🎄
🎉

Generated 2019-12-12 22:07:49 in 1 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️