Value of a New Century Dictionary

Category Books
Old reference books in good condition may have value to the right person. This page concerns the value of a new century dictionary.

I found a 1927 New Century Dictionary. Is it worth anything?

Answers

Best Answer

If you can wait until 2017, it will be considered an antique. It will be worth more then.

I have (2) dictionaries called, The New Century Dictionary. They were first copyrighted in 1927. They are in good condition. Does anyone happen to know what their value might be?

By Revelator from Mobile, AL

Answers

Best Answer

Actually their value is nothing. Every year a few new words are added to the English language. Some of these are fad words and some are not. None of these will be in your old dictionaries. They would serve a purpose for looking up the words that are in them but a new dictionary will cover everything. Before a person would pay for an old dictionary, they would pay for a new one.

I have a corduroy covered "The Century Dictionary: An Encyclopedic Lexicon of the English Language." It is in good condition for its age with some light staining on the corduroy, yellowing of pages, and a few loose pages. It weighs almost 30 lbs! I would like to know a reasonable amount to ask, as I have seen it on Antiques Roadshow and know I cannot ask that amount. Thanks!

By CJ

Answers

Go to several antique book dealers and ask them what it is worth.