Vintage FurnitureFurniture

Value of a Vintage Wicker Chair

My neighbor gave me this 1960s (not sure on exact year or decade) beautiful wicker chair, it was his grandfather's. Either way I plan on keeping it, I just thought it would be fun to see if it was valuable being on how old it is and the excellent condition it is in. Any type of info is welcome, no explanations.

Vintage chairs like this can be $300 or more. I would take it to a dealer for a free appraisal.

Unfortunately there is not enough info to give you a good value.

There are famous wicker brands that could be quite valuable and there pieces that have no value even if they are very old.

If it is a 1960s piece it is vintage, not an antique, but if the grandfather had it since the 1900s, it could be an antique. That may or may not make a difference in value. I don't want to guess at this.

Also, age is not always a determinate for value. There are so many other things that determine if a piece is of value or not. There are old things that literally have no value, and newer things that have huge value.

I will say the piece is interesting with the pattern that may be Mexican or Native American...but again...without a lot more info it would be hard to tell you what you could expect to get for this if you sell it.

The best bet is to find a reputable furniture reseller in your town, one with a storefront, and have them give you their take. They can look at things I can't see...like how it is woven, how the joists are assembled, and such.

They will also give a true appraisal of condition...it looks like it is in nice shape, but I can't see the underside which could have issues. I can't sit in it and hear if it creaks or groans or feels like it is going to give when I sit down. These all factor in to value and could devalue something if it had flaws.

I feel bad you said no explanations--but without an explanation I would be giving you wrong or incomplete information and a value that may be far from accurate. That would not be fair to you or anyone coming after you that says, OHHH, I have the same chair--what is it worth.

Thanks for sharing!! Post back what you learn.

Doing research on wicker chairs reveals the market is flooded with all styles, ages, and prices and very little information on sold items.
Your chair does have some loose wicker that should be repaired before it gets beyond repair.

Similar styles are listed on eBay and Etsy (as well as other sites) but could not find very many records of similar sold items.

Here are a couple of chairs presently listed on Etsy.
One appears to be an exact match to yours (with no damage) and one is very similar. You can keep the links and keep checking to see if they sell as asking prices have very little to do with current value.

www.etsy.com/.../70s-vintage-hippie-bohemian-wicker...

www.etsy.com/.../rattan-chair-boho-chair-wicker-chair...

Similar chairs sold in February:

www.loveseat.com/.../

It is very expensive to ship furniture so most people try to sell to someone living within their area. That means this style may be more valuable in one area than another which hampers someone trying to place a value on your chair.

It looks like a nice gift so I hope you will enjoy using it.
Personal value is most likely higher than any retail value.