Value of an Antique Bed?

Trying to determine the value of antique beds can be difficult, especially if there are no identifying marks, as is often the case with older pieces. There are several helpful suggestions found below that can get you started on your quest.

I am trying to find out how much this bed might be worth. Any suggestions?

Answers

Best Answer

Excellent pictures but there are so many variables that only a true antique person could place a value on a bed like this.

Everything about the bed would mean something to someone familiar with furniture like this but for most members of this site, they would not be searchable and that is how we would have to determine value - mostly with finding same or very similar sold items.

I would suggest you pay a $17 fee and ask Barneby's for an appraisal as they have experts available that know antiques.

www.barnebys.com/.../

If you decide to do this be sure to include any information you have about the bed (provenance) as well as measurements and pictures.

There are some free appraisal sites but you can Google and find several of those.

Best Answer

For me, setting a value is going to be a bit of a challenge without a maker or a year. You could (to learn more):

-- take it to an antique dealer and ask him/her to give you an insurance value and some history on the piecewhich would tell you what it is worth in your area. If you ended up selling it to them you would not be getting the value, but would be getting what they want to pay so they can mark it up to the value price and make a profit

--talk to a consignment shop and see what they would sell it for and if they know any history on it (knowing they sell it for you they will take a percentage of the sale)

--use the genre method to set a price...but know this is really not the best method as some sellers are overly ambitious and want big bucks for something worthless and others are trying to close an estate and are asking penny's on the dollar for something valuable. Without a true apples to apples match of something that someone sold, you cannot know the true market value today.

As an example of doing a genre search...I put the term ornate mahogany bedroom into eBay and came up with this auction:

www.ebay.com/.../283155297124?hash=item41ed5ef364...

I personally think this seller is overly ambitious, but you never know if someone MUST HAVE this item, they will pay the price!

You can do that same search in Google and see if you can find similar sets on Craig's list or Facebook Marketplace and what they are asking and that can help you set your value (price to sell).

I'm in a similar position to most, I have a bed here, but am not sure which year it was made. It was left when I brought my house. I"m wondering if there's a rough evaluation anyone can help with or shall I just take it to the tip (dump), I have no space and am looking to get rid of it asap!

Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

It is almost impossible to date things like this...I would guesstimate it is 1940s-1960s. Coil springs started in the 1800s, but this looks much more machines and "newer" but I can't eyeball all of the contruction points, types of screws etc.

It looks like Mahagony or Cherry---but not being able to see in person makes that ID a challenge also.

I can't make out what the stencil is of...a rooster? Flower basket?

Bed frames for twin beds are valued all over the place and that it looks so sturdy and usable, I would not dump it, but would try to sell it in a local venue.

Since I don't know where you are located (furniture sales are so regional that I can give you some general guidance).

I would do one of two things--easiest, take it to a local consignment or antique shop (even though I doubt it is an antique--over 100 years old), but they can sell it for you or buy it outright and they will give you 1/4 to 1/8 of what retail is for such pieces in your area.

This is the easiest solution and as a long time reseller what I do with furniture, because I don't want the muss and fuss of people coming to my house (esp now in the virus world).

If you are game for selling Facebook marketplace and don't care about people coming to your house, you can list it in one of your local (for pick up) Facebook groups. There are many local sale want trade (SWT) or flea market groups on my Facebook for my neighborhood. Start it high and take best offer. By high I mean like $200 and take best offer, which may be as low as $10.

Or if flea markets are open, take it there.

Post back how your sale goes. It is a really lovely piece and I feel that someone may by it just for the wood to repurpose even if not buying it to use as a bed. The wood is gorgeous!

Best Answer

Unless you can find some sort of name or other information on the back of the bed it is very hard to determine the age or even who has made this bed frame. I feel that this is a good frame and someone could use it if they needed it. I know you'd like to get rid of this and there are several ways you can do this. One you can list this on Craigslist as a free time or even a paid item. You can ask basically any price you wish for this and could start off as low as $25 and go all the way up to $150 or so. I would try to sell this locally. I know a lot of people will set items like this out in their front yard and put a sign on it for free. This is yet another way to dispose of this item. You can also try and take some really good images to an vintage or antique furniture shop in your area and see how much they would offer you for this bedframe.

Consumer Advice Collectibles Furniture Antique FurnitureJune 25, 2020
🎆
😎
😷
🐛
🌻