Vegetarian Stew Recipes
A hearty main dish can be with a variety of vegetables, beans and grains. This page contains vegetarian stew recipes
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
This easy slow cooker recipe is unique and delicious!
This is an inexpensive hearty meal that is very filling! It is one of my own concoctions. I invented it while continuing to use up food I have stored at home. My monthly grocery bill continues to be very low, since I am using up what I have on hand right now. This is nice and hearty and filling! This entire recipe cost me less than $3! Serves 8-10 people.
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup millet
- 1 (28 oz.) can of tomatoes
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (19 oz.) can of corn
- 1 (14 oz.) can of green beans, drained
- 1/2 cup instant mashed potatoes (or 1 potato diced)
- 2 tsp. herbes de provence (or mixture of thyme, rosemary, oregano, basil)
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 Tbsp. sambal oelek or hot sauce (optional)
Put everything in a slow cooker and mix well. Cook on high for about 4 hrs.
Note: The instant mashed potatoes give the stew a bit of a thicker consistency. If you use a regular potato, that's great, but it won't be as thick.
|Time:||10 Minutes Preparation Time|
4 Hours Cooking Time
Source: This is my own recipe taken from my blog: http://thefrugalvegan.wordpress.com
By Lisa from Halifax, NS
This recipe is so easy to prepare and so totally delicious. In my family, this is one of my signature dishes. It can be served hot or cold. Perfect for any meal and picnics, Italians are big fans of the outdoor meal.
- two green squash (zucchini) washed and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp. garlic fresh or dried
- 2-3 large potatoes scrubbed and chopped
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb. of green beans, fresh, frozen or canned
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
Put all ingredients in a large pot. Add a cup or two of water. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes until the potatoes are cooked. Remove from heat and serve warm or cold with plenty of grating cheese.
|Time:||10 Minutes Preparation Time|
30 Minutes Cooking Time
Source: My own recipe, handed down by my mother Yoland Bruno.
By Margaret from Rochester, NY
December 13, 20051 found this helpful
This stew is a great way to use summer vegetables in a new way.
- 3 cups water
- 1 cube vegetable bouillon, low sodium
- 2 cups white potatoes, cut in 2-inch strips
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 4 cups summer squash, cut in 1-inch squares
- 1 cup summer squash, cut in 4 chunks
- 1 15-oz can sweet corn, rinsed and drained (or 2 ears fresh corn, 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 stalk scallion, chopped
- 1/2 small hot pepper, chopped
- 1 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced
Add other favorite vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, etc.
Heat water and bouillon in a large pot and bring to a boil. Add potatoes and carrots to the broth and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients except for the tomatoes and continue cooking for 15 minutes over medium heat.
Remove 4 chunks of squash and purée in blender. Return puréed mixture to pot and let cook for 10 minutes more. Add tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes.
Remove from flame and let sit for minutes to allow stew to thicken.
- 2 cups water
- 1 lb. tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 2/3 cup sliced green pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/4-1/2 tsp. sweet basil
- 15 oz. can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 1/2 cup cooked noodles
- 1 cup sliced zucchini
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
Simmer all ingredients, except last 4 for 30 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and simmer an additional 15 minutes.
By Robin from Washington, IA