Viewing the 2017 Solar Eclipse

On August, 21, 2017, a total solar eclipse will be visible in the US. The path will cross the entire length of the country, from coast to coast. The last total solar eclipse to cross over so many states was in 1970 and the next one won't be until 2045, so this will be a rare opportunity. All of North America should see the partial eclipse, weather permitting, but the total eclipse will only be visible in a 70 mile wide path. Much of the country will have to travel to see totality and many are already making plans.

A solar eclipse occurs when the moon passes directly between the Earth and the sun, blocking out light. This eclipse will start at 10:15 AM on the Oregon coast, and ends about an hour and a half later at 2:39 PM in North Carolina. Maximum totality will take place in Illinois, for only 2 minutes and 42 seconds. It's a very short event so be sure you are in place early so you don't miss it.

Whether you are traveling or are lucky enough to live in the eclipse path, some safety precautions are necessary. Never view a solar eclipse with your naked eye or you may permanently damage your vision. Regular sunglasses are not enough protection. Instead purchase mylar eclipse goggles, which block out the damaging rays. This is especially important for children who may not be able to avoid the temptation to look at the sun. You can also make or purchase a simple pinhole camera to view the eclipse indirectly.

For more information about the eclipse, here is a useful link. Please share your eclipse planning and tips in the feedback below. Happy viewing!

Link: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/total-solar-eclipse-august-2017/

Your readers are invited to visit http://NationalEclipse.com for more information on the 2017 eclipse.

We live right on the line, in Missouri. We get to view it from here on the farm.

rather excited and planning to have family come in for crescent roll sandwiches, moon pies, starburst and sugar cookies decorated like the sun.

We were just north of the line in Oregon and were able to go to our regular campsite to see it. It was just amazing!

Hi first time comment long time reader, I live in Australia, but my daughter and family live near Seattle and have travelled to Bend to view the solar eclipse and planned this trip 12 months ago. Even though I am on the other side of the world some of my family will enjoy this experience.
Regards Melinda

I'm glad your family got to see it and I hope their drive home wasn't too bad. I grew up in Seattle and one of my friends from that area viewed the eclipse with me, not so far from Bend. It took her twice as long as usual (9+ hours) to drive home, on Tuesday. It was worth it though.

Hope you get some nice pictures from your family and a chance to see it for yourself at some point.

I keep reading that for safety's sake to watch it on tv.

I'm glad I saw it in person. It looked like a movie special effect, but it was real! We all had glasses on except during totality.

I live in Nebraska, and sadly read it will be the worst place to see it due to cloud cover! And many other states will be cloudy, the only exceptions with clear skies are Oregon and Idaho.

Was it too cloudy? I was so worried about that in Oregon. We have clouds today and it would have been a disaster if it was like this on Monday morning.

Here in Nebraska the threat of clouds did not happen, here in Omaha where we live we watched but wish we had drove to Lincoln, Omaha was 98% and that was enough to make it look like 7:30 at night but did not get all dark like Lincoln and Beatrice.

We were not in the path of the total eclipse but 93% of the sun was blocked. The temperature that afternoon was 90 degrees. I sat on the porch during the time of the eclipse and it was like looking through a tinted window. It was a clear day and the shadows were the same.

I didn't look at the sun but took the opportunity to go to the garden, at the peak time, and pick some string beans. The temperature had dropped some during that time. With the sun being partially blocked, it felt like I was in the shade.

It was awesome!