FamilyPhotos

Vintage Photograph (1950s)

Photo Description
This vintage picture was taken at a photography studio in the early 1950's. The mother of this child was approached on the sidewalk as she strolled by the studio. She was asked if they could photograph the little girl. The mother received a complimentary 5 x 7 photo. The original photograph was framed in an ornate frame and displayed in front of the studio for advertising purposes.

Years later, the young child as an adult was told the story of the picture. She contacted the photography studio about the original advertisement picture. She was told the framed photograph had been destroyed in a fire. They had tried to contact the family to no avail because they wanted to give the picture to them. The child's dress was aqua blue taffeta, sewn by her mother. The original picture was in color, the mother received the black and white picture. The child in this picture happens to be the writer of this post, jodi.

It just gave me a laugh being called a "vintage" photo since I was a teenager in the 50's. I also have pictures taken of me on the street in Portland but as a young lady, used for a photography studio.

Miss those fun days. Now my question is what makes something "vintage", I know an antique has to be over 100 years old, and I'm not quite there yet.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I think "vintage" has to do with being representative of a time period. This charming sepia colored studio image is certainly representative of the 40s and 50s. The vintage photographs of my childhood (in the 70s and 80s) would have been an instant Polaroid.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I feel that my old picture of myself is vintage, it is one of a kind and cannot be duplicated to its original state as it was at the time the child was placed in the chair and the photographer used his skills to capture the personality of his subject. The photography skills of that era was simple and families appreciated those skills.

Reply Like this photo? Yes