Watering Hanging Baskets

contest winner icon
After a couple of days in the sunshine, the leaves on my hanging basket of petunias look pitiful. To bring them back to life, I put water in a pan and put the basket in the pan to soak up the water overnight. The next day, the dirt in the basket is heavy with water and the leaves on the flowers look lively again. This is easy and there is no dripping when I hang the basket back up.

Great idea! Another that has worked for me and could possibly be an addition is I bought premiee diapers at the Dollar tree and place an open diaper in the bottom before the dirt and plant and so far I have had success.

I'll have to try that. Disposable diapers do hold a lot of water.

Well, LG,

The proof is in the petunias. You must be doing it right, cause they are beautiful!

Thank you. I can't grow flowers like you though.

Don't you bet on it. One reason my flowers look so good is how I photograph them.

Taking down or moving heavy baskets is a pain. I freeze water, sometimes with water soluble plant food, in empty water bottles, then invert the frozen bottles into the baskets right where they are.

The ice melts slowly, soaking the soil and I don't have to lift heavy, soaking wet baskets

The weather has been nice and my petunias are still blooming. I have taken them in 3 times because the temperature dropped below freezing at night.

It's time to think about Christmas and I don't think the basket of petunias will go well with Christmas decorations so I will have to find another place to hang them.

I have enjoyed this hanging basket so much, I'm debating on whether to try to keep them through the winter months.