Watering Hanging Plants

Category Irrigation
Watering Hanging Plants
Maintaining proper moisture in your hanging pots and baskets can be accomplished in a number of ways. This guide is about watering hanging plants.

Water hanging plants with a few ice cubes, rather than the watering pail. The cubes will melt slowly and will be absorbed whereas water poured in often runs straight through and pours out.

One of the most critical parts of caring for hanging baskets is to make sure the soil mix never dries out. This can be a time consuming chore, especially in the summer during hot, dry weather. Here are a few simple tips to make watering hanging baskets less of a chore.

Maximize Moisture Retention

One of the best ways to reduce the amount of time you spend watering is to minimize the amount of moisture your baskets lose through evaporation and run-off.

Basket liners: Wire and wrought-iron hanging baskets lined with moss or coconut coir look beautiful, but they dry out quickly. One way to minimize moisture loss is to "line the liners" using plastic grocery store bags with small slits cut in the bottom for drainage. This will slow down moisture loss significantly and also slow down the decay of the liners themselves--allowing extra seasons of use before you have to toss them out. If you have an aversion to plastic, try using crushed up egg cartons or a few layers of newspaper. These materials won't protect your liners from decay, but they will certainly slow down moisture loss.

Tip: Before planting, always submerge liners made from moss or coconut coir in water. This will establish good contact between your moist soil mix and your liner, and prevent the liner from acting like a wick.

Water-retaining granules: Add water-retaining crystals (hydrogels) to your soil mix to help absorb and hold onto moisture. At most, you may only gain an extra day or two of water-free days, but for some gardeners that might be worth it. Follow the instructions on the package carefully. Don't add more than the recommended amount or your soil may end up staying too moist. If adding them to your soil seems inconvenient, there are also soil mixes available with moisture granules already mixed in.

Mulch: Cover exposed potting soil with a lightweight organic mulch such as pine needles, shredded bark, or decorative Spanish moss. This will help keep the soil cool and moist and reduce your need to water.

Keep Plants Within Easy Reach

Retractable Pulleys: Baskets that are heavy to lift or hard to reach become easy to avoid when it comes to watering. A pulley attachment makes raising and lowering baskets a breeze. Many popular brands work on an internal ratcheting mechanism that locks or releases at any height. Look for systems that come with an optional swivel hook, which lets you turn your plants as needed for even sun exposure.

Water wands: Water wands are inexpensive and extremely useful for watering hanging baskets. These specially designed spray nozzles attach to the end of your garden hose, extending reach for overhead watering. Most brands feature a selection dial that allows you to choose from a variety of watering patterns. Use the mist or shower settings to give plants a drink, and the high-pressure jet to dislodge spider mites, aphids, and other soft-bodied insect pests from your plants.

Temporary Relocation: During prolonged periods of extreme heat, consider moving your hanging baskets to a shadier location under trees or overhangs. Set them on top of overturned flower pots or hang them on temporary brackets.

Try Self-Watering Hanging Baskets

Self-watering hanging baskets can dramatically reduce the amount of time you spend watering. The baskets feature and built-in reservoir and wicking system that automatically distributes water to your plants as they need it. Not only does the system keep your soil from drying out, it also prevents you from over-watering. Make regular (non self-watering) baskets more efficient by inserting plastic reservoirs designed to channel water directly to the plant's roots at the time of planting. Reviving Dehydrated Plants

If one of your hanging baskets has dried out completely, but you think the plants can be revived (they are wilted but still appear alive), move it immediately to a shady place and give it a gentle watering. Wait a few minutes and then carefully submerge the entire basket into a large bucket of water. Bubbles will rise to the surface until the soil is thoroughly saturated with water. Once they stop, lift the basket from the water and move it to a cool, shady place to recover for a few days before returning it to sunshine.

Freeze water bottles with either plain water or water with diluted plant food. Once frozen, open the cap and invert the bottle into your houseplants. The ice will melt slowly and drip into the plant and soak the soil rather than pouring through and out the drainholes. Especially rootbound plants often have water that runs right through without saturating the soil, and can be especially messy overflowing the saucer, etc.

Source: I've been doing this forever, not sure where I learned it.

For years, I have always lugged a chair over to reach up to my hanging baskets. It was either that or haul them down from their hooks, which still involved lugging a chair over to reach. I finally came up with an idea and it's made life so much easier on me and on my plants. They don't get neglected like they did before when I just didn't feel like climbing up to do them.

I bought a small pulley and some small nylon string. I attached the sting to the hook on the plant, ran the other end through the pulley and down to a hook on the wall. Actually, instead of putting a hook there, I simply unscrewed one of the screws holding my window frame in just enough to catch the string. I made a loop and just loop it over the screw. To prevent the string from going all the way through the pulley when I bring it down, I measured where it should go and tied a small cat toy at that point.

Now when my hanging baskets need watering, I simply unhook the string from it's screw and lower it to easily reach, and when I'm done, I just pull the loop back down and hook it on the screw again! No more hauling chairs all over and lifting heavy plants! My hanging baskets have never looked so good!

By Cricket from Parkton, NC

A simple way to ensure that water gets to the heart of your basket or container is to insert a piece of hose or pipe long enough to reach the centre of the container. For hanging baskets often two are required, one each side.